Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Alexander and I have been sitting around in this cell hopelessly for what feels like days, but was probably only hours. Crow hasn't come back and neither have any of the guards. We've sat in silence, defeat, knowing we can't do anything.

"Earlier, before Crow interrupted I was trying to tell you something," Alex finally breaks the silence. I lift my head from his shoulder to look at him and he's already looking down at me with sadness in his blue eyes.

"What is it?" I ask nervously. I have no idea where his head is at and I'm still not used to that.

"If we all make it out of this alive I think it would be best if we went back to being best friends like we used to be once upon a time..."

I snort. "Breaking up with me in one of the places that held such awful memories for me? Damn Alex, that's one way to do it," I say with a small smirk trying to lighten the mood.

He stiffens slightly before seeing the smile on my face. He lets out a small chuckle and tightens his hold on my waist. "Yeah, probably not the best of places, but once we realized you and Kain were missing too I just felt like I was going to go crazy, but at the same time I felt a sense of relief..."

"Relief?" I ask in confusion.

"You got taken with Kain and I knew he would do anything and everything to keep you safe. And if he loved you that much he would do the same for Luna. It was when I realized this that I accepted all this talk of soulmates. I know the way I treated you before all of this happened was awful and I am so sorry for that Charlie. I knew deep down I was losing you and it just brought back all the memories of losing you as Alexis. I couldn't cope with that..."

I interrupt him before he can finish, "Alex even if we aren't together doesn't mean you would lose me. You were my best friend way before you were my boyfriend or even fiancé. My love for you will always be there."

He smiles down at me and leans forward to kiss my forehead. "I know that now and I feel the same way. There is a part of me that thinks if you hadn't died as Alexis than we would've had our happily ever after and I used to hold on to that thought." I nod my head, agreeing. I think that too because as Alexis I had no clue Garrett was still alive. I was happily living in ignorance.

"I tried to convince myself nothing has changed besides the body you lived in, but it had changed. Even if neither of us saw it at first. Charlotte you have no idea how happy I am that you came back into my life. You don't know how much happiness you brought into Luna's life by coming back to us. And you already know how happy you've made me," He has a small smile playing at his lips as he zones out, deep in thought.

"From the moment my memories hit me in this life, I knew I had to go back to you two. That story was left without an ending because it was ripped from the book," I tell him and he meets my gaze again. "The ending may not have been what we expected, but having you and Luna still in my life, I would call that a happy ending."

Alex lets out a humorless laugh, "You call this a happy ending?" He gestures around us.

I sigh. "We will get out of this Alex. I trust Kain to get us out of this." Crow only told us about having Luna back, nothing of Kain. That means Kain got away and he would come back for us.

Alex nods his head. "I believe that." I raise an eyebrow at him and he smiles again. "I told you already that I trust Kain to keep you safe. He loves you just as much as I do Charlotte, so that's how I know he'd do anything for you."

"I love you too Alex," I frown.

He rubs soothing circles on my arm. "I know that, but Kain is your soulmate. Have you not realized that yet?"

"I'm slowly coming to terms with it..." I say quietly. "But just because someone believes someone else to be their soulmate doesn't mean they will end up together."

"I believe that too, but you want to be with him, do you not?" He asks me. It amazes me the calm way he talks to me about this when we used to have such bad arguments about it. He really must have accepted it...

I know the answer to his question even if I have been denying it for so long now. I know where my heart lies even if my head didn't want to accept it. Crow had no influence on my thoughts because I have been trying to deny it for a long time now...

"I hate hurting you Alex," I whisper.

"You aren't doing it on purpose Charlotte. I will be okay. The only way you can truly hurt me is if you left mine and Luna's lives..."

"Never!" I gasp.

His lips lift into a smile once again. "Then there's your confirmation that I will be okay."

"But you won't leave either, right? I don't want to be selfish, but I need you both in my life."

"I won't leave, I promise. If I've learned anything from all of this," he waves his arm around us, "It's that life is short and not everyone gets seconds chances like others," I frown knowing he's referring to me. "Don't be upset, I'm glad you came back Charlie. I know how you feel for me and Luna and I know you will have to be the one to live on without us one day and that kills me to know what that will do to you..." I feel my eyes tearing up just at that thought that I've always pushed back.

"And that is why I would never be selfish enough to leave. I want you to finally have one life full of happiness Charlotte O' Heir. If there is any soul out there, reincarnated or not, that deserves that happiness, it's you." And that is when the tears spilt over completely.

"You deserve happiness too Alexander..."

"And I will have that happiness as long as you and Luna are happy."

"You are one of the most amazing people I have ever met in any life Alexander Johnson. I would never take a back a minute I've spent with you and I hope we get out of here safely because you deserve a long happy life."

"Don't start doubting Kain now," he chuckles and wipes the tears from my eyes.

"I haven't," and before we can say anything more we here a loud crash somewhere above us.

I look to Alex and he looks out at the hall, tightening his grip on me. Loud steps echo throughout the halls as someone makes their way down the steps and into the hallways. I see a flash of light on the wall outside of the cell and I nervously clench onto Alex's shirt.

"This room is clear!" A loud masculine voice calls out. One of the guards?

"This one as well!" Comes a different voice and then the light is on the wall again. I look to Alex in confusion and he's starting to stand up, pulling me with him.

Just as we start to approach the cell door, we hear a loud bang that has us both flinching back.

"This is the police, put your hands where I can see them!" The first voice calls out again and this time Alex's head swings to me in shock.

The light on the wall comes closer and suddenly shines onto our faces. I hold up a hand to shield myself from the blinding light. Alex squeezes my hand and I blink a few times to adjust my eyes to see the person staring back at us.