Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"Luna!" I choke out and without even thinking of the fact that I was re-entering the cage that held so many horrifying memories, I rush to her.

Her dirty blonde hair is knotted and messy, her blue eyes that look identical to Alexander's are bloodshot and horrified. She's wearing next to nothing, in just a stained white tank top and underwear. I don't even want to know where those stains are from. Luna has always been in good shape, but she looks sickly thin with her cheekbones jutted out and dark circles beneath those reddened blue eyes.

I reach her and grab her into my arms; tears that I didn't even know formed started sliding down my cheeks. "Oh god, Luna. What did they do to you?" I cry.

She pulls away from me, the terrified look in her eye unnerving me. "What are you doing here?"

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. "What do you mean I'm here to bring you home, Luna."

She starts crying and shaking her head; before I can question her I hear Kain's voice shout out, "No!" and then the sound of the cage slamming shut.

My head whips in the direction of the door and I find Crow standing there with a smirk on her face. "What's going on?"

"You didn't think I'd just hand Luna over to you and let you all leave and live happily ever after did you?" She chuckles. Kain stands besides her staring at us behind the barred door with a horrified look on his face, a guard holds him back.

"Who are you? What do you want with me?" I cry out.

The smirk finally drops from her face and a dozen different emotions passes through her eyes before settling on anger. "That's a story for another time... For now all you need to know is revenge is bittersweet."

Revenge? Who is this woman? My mind is reeling with possibilities, but is abruptly cut off when Kain is suddenly dragged away.

"Let me go! Charlotte! Luna!" He fights back, but the guards get a good hold on him.

"Kain!" I call out, running to the cage door. I watch him struggle to get away, starring at me in distress.

"I'm going to get you both out of here Charlotte, I promise you!" His hazel eyes burn with determination as he stares at me.

Crow snickers and suddenly steps into my view, blocking Kain. "That will be enough from you two lovebirds. You're making me sick."

"Charlotte!" I hear Kain yell and then let out a cry of pain. My heart is racing at the possibilities of what will happen go through my head. "Kain!"

"Let him go! He has nothing to do with this, it's me you wanted right?" I look into the dark, almost black eyes of Matilda Crow.

Her lip twitches in disgust. "He has everything to do with this," is all she says before turning to walk away.

"Well then at least let Luna go, you said you wouldn't hurt her if we cooperated!" I call out to her. If Luna was out then I could focus better on getting Kain out. Having two people here that I love is going to be a challenge.

She pauses to look back at me with a bored expression. "I'm not hurting her am I? I didn't say I'd let her go."

"You... you devil!" I cry out and her lips curl into a smile.

"I think the name you're thinking of is Dr. Devin," she says before disappearing around the corner.

_______________

"Dr. Devin is only trying to help you Joanna," Gail tells me as we sit in the room they've been keeping me in since they took me here.

"I don't trust him Gail he had an evil glint in his eye when I met him," I shudder recalling this man that had me sedated and taken away.

Gail stares at me in worry, " I don't either Joanna, but what other choice do we have? The sooner you cooperate with him the sooner you get the hell out of here!"

I had not been the best of patients since I got here just two days ago. They've been trying to crack me, but I refused to speak. There was nothing wrong with me. They ended up getting in contact with Gail and called her in in hopes of gaining my trust. I've not seen Dr. Devin since he had me sedated, but I knew he was behind this meeting.

"Gail I need to get out of here. I don't belong here," I insist.

"I know that, but they don't. And they don't seem to have any intentions of letting you go until they feel you've been 'cured'" she says sarcastically.

"Gail I don't want to know what their definition of cured is..." I whisper.

She furrows her eyebrows at me. "I don't know much about mental hospitals, but I don't think they're going to harm you Joanna."

I look away from her and shake my head. She didn't see the look in Dr. Devin's eyes when I was taken away...

_______________

A million different thoughts start making there way through my head before my throat starts feeling as if it's closing up. My eyes dart around the familiar room and my head starts spinning and the walls feel like they're closing in on me and sweat starts dripping down my spine and my hands begin to shake and my heart starts to race and I'm falling.

"Charlie!" A distant voice calls out, but it's not distant it's right beside me. There's something holding me and my skin is crawling.

A cold hand is patting my face, but my eyes can't focus on anything, everything is spinning and I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I CAN'T BREATHE.

"Mom, come on you're okay. Mom please!" A voice cries out. Mom? Mom... Luna!

"Luna," I gasp.

"Yes, I'm here! I'm okay, you're okay, and we are going to be okay. Breathe mom," she says.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. I have to breathe.

I feel my body starting to slowly calm down, but my mind is still going crazy. After a few minutes my eyes can focus and my breathing has returned to normal, but my heart was still anxiously pounding in my chest.

"What happened?" Luna stares at me with worried eyes as she sees me calming down.

"That is him Luna," I whisper.

Her expression turns to confusion as she looks back at me, "Who?"

"Crow. Crow is Dr. Devin."

"You mean the man that tortured you in the insane asylum in your past life?"

I nod my head slowly.

"The devil?"

I nod my head again and Luna gasps in horror, "but that would mean..."

"Matilda Crow is a reincarnated soul," I finish.