Chapter 23

Chapter 23

It's been another week, meaning we only have one week left to find Luna and we are still stumped. Living in the same place as Kain and Alexander has been extremely overwhelming. The three of us are trying our best to ignore the circumstances in order to get Luna back, but there are still moments where things get awkward.

We've decided to tell James what's going on since he's the only other one who knows about our past. He'll be here any minute and it will be the first time he sees Kain in over three years. He doesn't know Kain's here I just asked him to come by because I had some leads on Luna that I couldn't talk to Wayne or Jesse about. He immediately understood and left to come here.

There's a knock on the door and I look to Kain who's nervously standing in the kitchen then Alexander who goes to open the door. James comes in eyeing us in concern before his eyes cross over Kain and he freezes in shock.

"Fucking shit balls," he mutters and my lips twitch in a smile. "Kain?"

"Why do people always say a person's name in question when they haven't seen them in a long time as if it weren't actually them?" Kain asks in amusement.

James glares at his best friend. "Well maybe because they need to check that they're really there and weren't abducted by aliens who erased their mind so they didn't remember the person!"

Kain's smile widens and I can't help the giggle the passes my lips. James green eyes dart to mine, "Why didn't you tell me on the phone that he was here?"

"I thought a surprise would be better?" I say in a question rather than a statement.

"Oh come on James you know you're boiling with excitement inside to have me back," Kain teases. James glares at him again for a few moments before punching his shoulder. "Hey! What the fuck man?" Kain rubs his arm.

"That's for being an ass and leaving without telling anyone then not keeping in contact with us!"

"Oh come on I've always been an ass, Charlie can attest," Kain smirks at me and I roll my eyes.

I notice Alexander stiffen in the corner of my eye but when I look to him he looks away.

"Yeah well you're a bigger ass these days," James mutters.

Kain's expression grows somber as he eyes his friend. "I'm sorry James. I really am. I wish I didn't leave the way I did, but I can't change that now. I can only make up for the time I was gone."

James nods slowly. "I missed you man," he says quietly.

Kain pulls him into a hug and I smile as I watch the two best friends reunite.

"I think we should start talking about what's going on now," Alexander interrupts gently.

Kain nods and James looks around at us in confusion, "So what's Luna's kidnapping got to do with your secret?"

I look to Kain and frown. He looks to me in concern before explaining everything to James. I sit down on the couch while he tells him and Alexander takes a seat beside me. The more I hear the situation be discussed out loud the more guilt I feel. Alex puts an arm around my shoulder and rubs soothing circles into my arm. I glance up at him and he gives me a small smile. I wish things didn't turn so shitty between us, but right here in this very moment it feels okay. It feels like we went back in time to when we were best friends as Alex and Alexis. It feels like when he was there for me when my parents passed and how he'd come to their grave with me every year...

_______________

I can't believe it's been three years since my parents passed away. I think about them every day and if it weren't for Alex I don't know how I would've coped. He's been the best friend a person could ask for. He knows when I'm upset and knows what to do to lift my spirits.