Chapter 32

Chapter 32

"Well I'll leave you two to talk, I'm sure you have much to catch up on like the kiss you shared with Kain and all..." Crow says with a smile. How did she know about that? She chuckles at my expression and I'm too much of a coward to look at Alexander.

"I will be back soon," she says and with that she walks out. I hear a grunt and look over to see the guards have shoved Alexander inside and locked the door behind him. The guards leave this time with Crow, leaving us completely alone.

It's quiet for a few moments as I watch Alexander slowly stand up, dusting himself off. I want to get up and hug him, but I'm still mostly numb so all I can do is stare.

He finally lifts his head to meet my gaze and I can't read his emotions. It always saddens me to know how well he trained himself to hide his emotions after my death because I can't read him the way I once did.

"Alexander," I whisper. I want to feel relieved seeing him here, but knowing he was captured and this is all another part of Crow's game has me shaking with nerves.

"Charlotte... How? What is—Where is Luna?" He rushes out finally. He walks slowly up to me and kneels by my side.

I give him a small smile, "She got out Alex. She's safe with Kain."

"I don't understand..." His eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"They escaped."

His eyes widen, "How? What about you? They just left you here? Kain would never..." He mutters the last part and now it's my turn to widen my eyes in shock. "Kain would never leave you behind," he says again, louder this time.

"He didn't want to, I gave him no choice. They needed a distraction in order to escape..."

His blue eyes grow sad, "Charlie you didn't..."

"They were both supposed to get back to everyone safe and sound, you shouldn't be here Alexander, how are you here?"

He grabs my hand, squeezing it and when I make no movement his eyes flash with hurt. He goes to drop my hand, but I protest, "I—I can't move." He seems confused so I elaborate, "They've given me numbing pills, my feeling is slowly coming back, but I still can't move."

I see the light bulb go off in his head and he looks at me in shock. "Numbing pills? Like when you were in the asylum?" I nod. "But—But how?"

"There is so much more to all of this then you could even imagine..." I proceed to tell him everything I know, sparing no details even if it hurts me to hurt him when I get to the part about soulmates. But surprisingly he gives no sign of anger or sadness... Only acceptance...

"I know all of the problems we had started with this whole soul mates thing and I have had a lot of time to think about it Charlie, my Charlie... And I—"

"That's enough alone time," Crow's voice calls out just before Alexander can finish speaking. Alex's head shoots to her as he stands, dropping my hand, but positioning himself protectively in front of me.

"Why don't you come in here Crow? Scared you don't have your bodyguards to protect you?" Alex taunts her and I cringe knowing what this person is capable of even if she isn't physically stronger than Alex.

Crow lets out a snort, "Clearly you don't understand who I am and what I am capable of."

"Well it can't be much considering two of your three prisoners escaped and one is laying numb in a cage... You don't seem too scary," Alex continues and I wish I could reach out and warn him to stop.

I can't see Crow, but the deathly silence unnerves me. "You want to know something Alexander?" She finally asks in a calm voice... too calm.

I don't hear if Alex responds, but she continues, "That woman behind you who you believe is the love of your life doesn't feel the same about you. She never has and she never will even if she deluded herself into thinking she does. Us reincarnated souls each have a soul mate and you made a mistake by falling for her because she has one too and his name is Kain." I can hear the smirk in her voice.