Chapter 34

Chapter 34

My heart races as I climb down from the window and down to the front door. I can hear Francis and his friends' voices echoing through the house. I open the door and walk in quietly.

I hadn't really planned on what to do next; I just wanted to distract them from looking for Garrett. All that was on my mind was keeping him safe.

When they begin pounding on my door harder I quicken my pace up the stairs, appearing behind them.

"Francis?" I call out in faux confusion.

He suddenly turns around, his friends looking me over too long...

"Well if it isn't my little faithful fiancé. Tell me where the—"

I cut him off, "Why are you here? Aren't you meant to be at the dinner my parents are at?"

"It didn't look very good when my dear fiancé didn't show up with me, so I had to let everyone know you were sick and I had to stay back to take care of you," he voices in disgust. "I don't like this covering for you when you do not return your half of the deal darling."

"Do not call me that," I say through clenched teeth.

"It all comes back to the farmer doesn't it? I did not want to be forceful my dear fiancé, you see I believe myself to be quite the gentleman, wouldn't you agree boys?" He looks to his friends who smirk and agree. "But you've tested my patience Elizabeth and my friends and I are left with no choice, but to rid you of your defiance."

My heart starts pounding harder in my chest and any confidence I once felt has drained from me completely.

They slowly started to approach me and I back up only to hit a wall. I get a feeling of déjà vu from the last time Francis trapped me, but this time I'm outnumbered and Garrett is locked in my room.

He is close enough that I can feel his breath on my cheek and I freeze. My arms are captured by his friends and despite my struggles I'm much weaker.

"No one is here to save you this time fiancé." He whispers in my ear as he violently starts ripping my clothing from my body ignoring my screams and pleas.

I try with all my might to fight them off, but it only tightens their grip. Francis pushes me down so I'm on the floor and when I try to get up a foot knocks me back down.

"Now you're going to give me what I want you fucking whore."

Before I can even process his words Francis is suddenly on the floor beside me. I look up in shock to find Garrett standing above me with a chair in his hands. He doesn't even look at me as he slams the chair into the man holding my left arm. The one on my right charges at him, knocking him off balance and making him drop the chair. Garrett quickly recuperates and throws a punch at the man. The man punches back, getting a hit in. I gasp as blood drips down Garrett's face, but it doesn't seem to faze him as he goes for another punch, knocking the man out cold. I look around me at the bloody bodies and my racing heart refuses to slow down.

"Darling if you ever do something so reckless again I won't be the one handcuffed to a bed," Garrett's voice grasps my attention. I look up at him, my eyes wide in shock.

"How did you..."

"Most people don't leave the key in reaching distance after locking someone up," he says drily.

My cheeks heat up in embarrassment, but I feel relief also take over. Garrett saved me again.

"Thank you," I whisper, my eyes shying away from his scolding ones.