Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Planning a wedding in under two months is much more stressful than I had anticipated. Thankfully we have had the help from our friends and families, who have been taking some of the burden off of Alexander and I. Our wedding is officially in two weeks and I could feel my excitement building. I will finally get to marry Alexander.

I was in the middle of picking out flower arrangements with Luna when my phone rang. It was an unknown number, but I still excuse myself and go into the kitchen to answer.

"Hello?"

"Hi, is this Charlotte O'Heir?" A deep male voice asks.

"Uh, who is this?"

"Oh sorry, my name is Frank Williams. My mother was Gail Williams," he starts and I freeze at his words. "She um left me a note to call a Charlotte O'Heir and relay a message to her when she passed away. You are Charlotte right?" He asks hesitantly.

Passed away... Oh no, no, no. "That's me," I choke out.

He clears his throat on the other end of the line. "The note said to tell you she is sorry for everything, that she should've been a better friend to you. She said she just wants you to be happy and that she loves you."

Tears begin pouring down my face as I think about our last memory together.

_______________

"Happy Birthday!" I call out as I walk into the room. Gail turns from the window with a huge smile on her face.

My smile slightly falters as I see her fully. She looks so much more fragile than last year when I visited. It was her ninety-third birthday today. I had made it a goal to come visit her on her birthday each year. It was convenient since it landed right during my winter break. Alexander had wanted to come with me, but I told him it was something I had to do on my own. But the truth is Gail seems to be against the idea of me marrying him, I'm not sure why, but she was not excited when I told her the news last year. I steered away from the topic and she never brought it up either so I just kind of let it go.

"Sister, you came again." She says with a raspy voice.

I give her a smile and sit down beside her. "I did! Couldn't miss my sister's birthday again. I missed too many already," I tell her.

Her wrinkled face lights up. "I missed my sister."

"I missed you too Gail. I'm sorry I can't visit more."

Her small fragile hand lifts shakily onto mine. "I'll take what I can get from you."

We talk for a little while until Gail brings up the topic the both of usually avoid. "So are you still engaged to that older man?" She asks with narrowed eyes.

I sigh and lift my hand up that bares my ring. "I am Gail."

She frowns and shakes her head. "Why?"

"What do you mean why? I love him," I ask her.

"But you love Garrett." Maybe her mind is going even more...

"I love Alexander now. Garrett is a part of my past Gail."

"No Charlotte. I know my sister and my sister was irrevocably in love with Garrett for two lifetimes. That doesn't just disappear sister. How could you marry another man especially now that you know Garrett is alive and wanting to be with you?" Her eyes are still narrowed at me as if she isn't recognizing the person sitting right in front of her.