15 | mysterious; ?

author: cait

the first time he popped up on my doorway is a distant memory.

there isn't much i can say, besides the fact that he didn't stay. 'i've started something i can't control anymore.' he stated. 'and now i'm running.' from what, i'm not sure of, but i let him stay with me for a day or two.

didn't hear from him again for about three years. i thought of him often, of course, but i couldn't do anything but wonder in my small dingy apartment.

lo and behold, the boy came back, wearing an eat-ass grin that i still remember gave me chills.

'want to run with me? you could lose some weight, boring boy.'

i agreed and we left, to a destination i wasn't quite sure he knew of. but i followed him anyways, because he was something interesting and my mind wanted more of it.

we stopped at some location after a month on the road. i was hoping we'd find a nice hotel, but instead the boy lead me into an old apartment building and i stayed with a boy named daniel for awhile.

the boy didn't come back.

i still think of him a lot. daniel and i moved into a large house with two other boys, we had started a band.

now we have success, fame, and money, but what i want seems unobtainable.

this eyes of his were captivating. they'd seem light on some days, a dark storm on others.

i wanted to feel his lips again like that one night half way through our trip.

he came back, rang the doorbell at some ungodly hour that somehow i managed to drag my ass out of bed and answer the door.

'you want to go out?'

i followed him again like the sucker i am, we got hotdogs and watched the stars. it was nothing like i dreamed of. i expected something romantic, cheesy. but instead i got a simple 'bye boring boy!' and a wave before he was speeding away.

didn't get his number, if he even had a phone.

the band lasted about five years before we split, which was about five years longer than we expected to last.

daniel remembers the boy.

it was funny how neither of us knew his name.

he was basically the reason for our success, but he wasn't around.

i was married and had kids the next time j heard from him.

or, more like heard of him.

it was a cop that handed me the dog tags i always remembered him wearing.

etched onto them were the words 'boring boy.'

never did learn his name.

'got himself into something he shouldn't have.' the cop had explained. 'you doing a funeral or should we just leave it at that?'

it was a strange experience, watching them lower the casket into the ground and crying over a boy we didn't know the name of.

he was my mysterious boy, who took me halfway across the country and basically forced me into my career, which brought many good unforgettable experiences.

i wall to his grave every now and then.

my wife doesn't think it's healthy, but she's been off her rocker for awhile anyways.

it was raining when i noticed the flowers and note.

i was hoping for a name. a connection.

the rain blurred the ink beyond eligible.

i do wonder what would've happened if he stayed.