F O U R

I am four years old and I asked Santa for a pink plushie bunny

I am four years old and I asked Santa for a pink plushie bunny. Mom brought me to her favourite shop. It's pretty there and everything smells good and mom always tells me to look with my eyes and not with my hands when we go there, but I can't help it, there's a table in the back and there are little pink bunny plushies and I start jumping and yelling at mom that I really want that pretty bunny and I'm hugging it and it's so tiny and soft and cute and I tell mom that I love it and mom tells me that this is a shop for girls and that she's not going to buy me something for girls and she takes it out of my hands and puts it back on the table and she takes my hand and keeps shopping and I keep trying to go back to the bunny and I don't understand why a shop is a girl shop when I see pretty things that I also want.

Sometimes my parents don't make sense.

But mom is not the only one that says I shouldn't have the bunny. Once I go play with my neighbour Louis and I tell him that I want to have a pink plushie bunny and he laughs at me and says that pink teddy bears are for girls and that maybe I was like his aunt Sara that used to be his uncle Simon and that I should be a girl instead. I tell on him to his mom for that and I also tell her Louis tried to make his sister eat a dead mouse.

Everybody is telling me that I shouldn't have that bunny so I wrote Santa a secret letter, well I drew him a secret letter, and I drew the bunny I wanted and I drew the shop where I saw the bunny and I stole an envelop from dad's desk and I wrote Santa in the front, I saw how to do it on the television so I wrote Santa so the postman knows its for Santa and when mom wasn't looking I put it in one of the mailboxes on the street when we were walking and I really hope that Santa gives me the pink bunny.

But on Christmas day, I don't have my pink bunny. I have a blue bike and slippers. Dad tells me they're Patriots slippers but I don't understand what that means and why he's so excited about it.

I wanted the pink bunny. I don't want a bike. I never asked Santa for a bike. Or for slippers. I hate this. I hate Santa.

At least, that's until two days after Christmas when Claire and her family come to dinner. Before it's time for dinner Claire brings me alone to my room. She's smiling at me more than usual. When we're alone in my room she tells me that Santa made a mistake. He brought one of my present to her place because I'm often at her house and he thought I might be there. She gives me a shiny box. I open it. The pink plushie bunny is in there.

I jump up and down and I'm so happy but Claire tells me that I can't show it to my parents. He's my secret bunny. I have to protect him because he's very shy and the only people he's okay with seeing him are me and her.

I'm okay with that. I love my pink plushie bunny, and I love Santa too.