F O R T Y • T H R E E

I'm forty three and I finally got my second doctorate. My first one was a PhD in criminology. This one is in forensic psychology. 

It's always a surprise when I mention this to new people. They all wonder how I managed it when I have two kids and a full time job. I don't tell them that in my mid twenties, when I was sad and alone and pinning over Claire I really didn't have anything better to do and that it took me ten years to finish the second one.

I've always been a good student, I've always had good grades, and I'm not a procrastinator so that helps.

Claire is always jealous of me because of that. She always hands in her articles at the very last second before the deadline. She says she'd be playing hide and seek with her doctoral advisor if she did a doctoral degree. I'm sure I would be kicking her butt in the right direction if she ever decided to get one, but she doesn't seem inclined to have two doctors at home.

The twins keep telling me that I was out of my mind to continue going to school for so long. I think they both are a little fed up with school already. I tell them that college is different. Telling them that is a little scary though, because it makes me think about them going off to college and that's one crazy scary thought.

I prefer just think about the fact that after over thirty five years of schooling, I'm finally done with it.

It's a very strange realization.