S I X T Y • O N E

I'm sixty one and my son is getting married.

I'm so freaking relieved that the dude he loves is not a complete disaster. Everybody agrees in the family that Eliah's type is exotic dancers, with all the emotional baggage that comes with one. His husband-to-be is insanely good looking but he's not a complete tool. I mean, sometimes he says things and Claire and I just want to say "oh, honey" but he's got the biggest heart. He's like an adorably lost puppy. I'm glad Eliah wants him to be part of our family.

The first time Eliah brought him to officially meet us, he was the shyest, quietest kid. I was reminded of myself when I was worried that nobody cared about me and that I was annoying everyone.

Once they left the house Claire laughed for five minutes straight. When she finally was able to talk, she explained, "People always say sons try to date their mother. Our son is dating his father."

What really blows my mind is that before meeting Eliah, he apparently only ever dated women. It was never anything that stuck for too long, he says he never really loved any of them.

Eliah is happy that even if his diabolical plan to turn the whole world gay hasn't worked out, at least he turned the one dude he actually loved to the right team, and that's really all he needs.

Our daughter officiates their wedding.

When I look at my two kids smiling so brightly I can't help but cry.