F I F T Y • T W O

I'm fifty two and Claire's dad just passed away. She's devastated. As she should be. The kids are taking it pretty rough too. They've never experienced anyone close to them dying before. I wished we could have spared them from it even longer, but clearly I have no control over death.

Claire's mom is the one consoling everybody.

At the funeral, she holds Claire's hands when she cries, telling her to take deep breaths, and that everything is going to be okay.

That woman is as tough as a nail. I'm convinced she's going to outlive all of us. She ran a marathon last year. She used to do Iron Man challenges. She could probably bench press a horse.

Her husband on the other hand always said his mistress was bacon.

It's a miracle he didn't die sooner.

He had a stroke. A big blood cloth got stuck in his brain. The doctor said there was really nothing they could have done.

I'm shaken up a lot too, to be honest. It's easy to forget how life can be fleeting when everyone is healthy and happy around you. I'd almost forgotten how swift death could be.

And I loved Claire's dad. He was a funny man. He was a much better father than mine ever was if I'm being completely honest.

But I try to keep it in as much as I can. I listen to what Claire's mother said and just take deep breaths. Claire needs me to be strong for her. The kids need me to be strong for them, so that's what I'm going to be.