F I F T Y • F I V E

I'm fifty five and I have lunch dates with my kids.

I always thought it was important to have a unique relationship with both of them. They might be twins but aside from their taste in men, which is usually appalling, they love douchebags, they like very different things.

They're both still in college far away from home, so I can' go see them every day, but I try to have our little dates at the very least twice a month.

Claire doesn't usually come with me for those either. Sure, we have family dinners, but my lunch dates are different.

It's my alone time with Eliah and Eloise. I want them to be able to tell me about their lives, about their hopes and dreams. I want them to tell me about the most trivial things that happen in their lives. I want them to know that I care about them. I think back to my father who didn't want to go see me play football because I was a second string and it would have been a waste of time. I never want my kids to feel that way. I never want my kids to think anything they do is a waste of time to me, because it really isn't. I still feel as I did when they were just babies and I could cry while watching them.

They're still kind of a miracle to me. I think I've accomplished a lot of things in my life, but nothing will ever bring me as much pride and joy as our children.