T H I R T Y • N I N E

I'm thirty nine and I just got a job offer I don't want to refuse.

I love where I'm working right now and my coworkers are really nice too, but there's no room for any kind of advancement. If I stay here, I'll always do the same job. I'll never really be challenged the way I could be if I take that job. It's a higher governmental position with chances of teaching and of analysing crime scenes all over the country. I love the job I have right now and I didn't think I wanted or needed a change, but now that the offer is on the table, I realize that even if my life is pretty perfect at the moment, there are still more things I want out of life.

The problem is that taking it means we'll have to move. I remember my parents arguing about the fact that my father's job took my mother away from hers. I never want to do that to Claire.

I don't want to refuse the job, but I also feel like I should. I almost do without telling Claire, but I also know that nothing good can come out of not being honest with each other. I don't want to have any kind of reason to slightly resent Claire in the future if I say no to the job.

I tell Claire.

She starts laughing when I do.

"I'm not joking, I really got that job offer," I repeat.

"I know, I'm just laughing because I got offered to be sent to the branch in the same city for the paper."

I smile. "So, we're moving?"

She smiles back. "I think we are."