F I F T Y • F O U R

I'm fifty four and I run into Quinn. It's strange. I actually haven't seen her since we broke up. She looks older than I know she is, like life has been a little rough for her.

"What's up with you?" she asks me after exchanging surprised greetings.

"I'm married with two kids," I answer and ask, "You?"

"Three kids, one divorce," she says.

"I'm sorry." I feel bad for her. Sure, she cheated on me, but we were young back then. And if she hadn't, who knows, I might have never gotten with Claire. So technically it's a very good thing that she cheated on me.

"It's fine," she answers, waving the matter away. "I'm dating again."

I chuckle. "Good luck."

"I always figured you would stay alone forever you know," she tells me, contemplatively, "pining for that Claire girlfriend of yours. Do you even still see her?"

I'm kind of cackling inside my head. I can't stop the grin. "I do. She's my wife."

No one's looked that surprised before. I assumed she would have heard. I guess she hadn't. "What?"

"We got married. We have two kids," I explain.

"Seriously?"

Still smiling I say, "Yeah."

"Wow, I should have known," she says, shaking her head.

I bumped into Scott once too. The conversation was a little different. We asked about each other's life. He knew Claire and I were married.

"Hey, very very inappropriate question, but I've always wondered if it was true. Did Claire used to keep the lights off when you were together?"

He knows why I'm asking this. He rolls his eyes at me. "All the time at the end. Sometimes her yes sounded a lot like a West too."

"Sorry."

"It's okay. I was always just a seat filler in your grand love story. I think I knew she loved you before she even did herself. It was the way she looked at you. She had never looked at me that way."

I know I shouldn't be happy about someone's misery like this, but I absolutely am.