F O R T Y • S I X

I'm forty six and my son just came out

I was kind of expecting it, Claire and I both were. The only time he ever brought a girl home, every time she had looked away from him, he had been making grimaces when he thought no one was looking. He had seemed seriously furious to have to go out with her. It had been quite hilarious.

On the other hand he was always gawking at the little boys Eloise would bring home.

I'm sad because he thought he had to tell us. His sister never had to announced that she liked boys and that she would date boys. He shouldn't have had to announced it to us like it might not be alright.

I'm sad, not because he's gay but because I know his life will be more difficult because of it. Even if people are more accepting these days, anybody that doesn't fit into the norm in society is bound to have a harder time. I'm just glad we build a home that made him feel comfortable enough to be honest with us. He felt like he had to tell us, but he never had to tell Eloise. She always knew. It must be a twin thing.

I only want good things for my son. I only want him to be happy and I'm scared that his sexual orientation is going to make this harder for him. But I also know how intelligent and strong and amazing he is. I worry because that's what fathers do, but deep down I'll know he'll be alright.