F O R T Y • E I G H T

I'm forty eight years old and it's my high school's thirty year reunion

I'm forty eight years old and it's my high school's thirty year reunion. I didn't go to the ten year one because ten years ago I wasn't speaking to Claire and I was in a bad place so I didn't feel like reminiscing about the good old days. And I was too busy for the twentieth. It's different this time.

            Everything is as I never even dreamt it could be so I don't mind telling people how I've been now.

Roxane and Georgia are there. Claire has kept in touch with them through the years. They're friends really. I find this kind of disturbing, that three of the women I slept with are in such good terms.

They're foster parents. I know they had to struggle making it happen, because they weren't heterosexual, but in the end it all worked out, and the way they talk about the kids in their care kind of brings tears to my eyes. I'm glad they never gave up.

Reggie and Lucas are there and the other friends I used to hang out with. It's fun to see how every 's been doing and to reminisce about our teenage years. They weren't always easy, but in the end, with some perspective, they weren't all bad either.

When I introduce Claire to people who haven't seen me since I've been out of high school, some of them remember me mentioning her from when I was in elementary school.

"Wait? Claire, the Claire. The Claire everyone said you made up? Claire, the girlfriend?"

"It's Claire the wife now, actually," Claire says with a laughing smile.

"And Claire the mother of my children," I add.

"What?"

"We have twins," I explain.

"They just turned fifteen," Claire adds.

"So wait, when you said you had a girlfriend named Claire..."

"I really wasn't lying."