N I N E T E E N

I'm nineteen and I'm in love. Her name is Quinn. I met her one night at a party. I asked for her number and she said she would only give it to me if I could recite the alphabet backward in thirty seconds. She was teasing me. She didn't think I could do it. I did it. She said she would have given it to me anyway. I called her the next day. We've been together ever since.

I never thought I could fall in love like this. She's everything I didn't even know I was looking for. She's intelligent. She's funny. She's gorgeous. She's perfect.

I bring her to meet my parents one weekend.

I'm sad when I think about the fact that my mom will never meet Quinn. My mom will never have known the woman that her son fell in love with. That stings a little, but at least Dad and Holly love her. Quinn could charm anyone.

While I give her the grand tour of our house, Quinn sees a picture of me and Claire together.

"Who is that?"

"Oh, that's my girlfriend," I answer casually, smirking.

She snorts. "Oh really?"

"Yep, fourteen years together and going strong."

Quinn laughs at the joke. Technically, it's kind of the truth though.

Claire is dating a new guy too apparently. I haven't met him, obviously, but I'm glad things are going well for the both of us.

This is obviously the way things should be.