T W E L V E

I'm twelve years old and I've had my first Sex Ed class.

I feel very out of the loop. Everyone in the class is nodding their head like they understand what's going on. The teacher told us our parents probably already had The Talk with us. My parents never had any talk with me.

I feel kind of uncomfortable and really flustered during the whole class. I never knew any of the stuff the teacher is saying, about making babies and all the changes my body is going to go through or is already going through. I've just started to make friends last year, but even then, we don't talk that much. I just have people to sit with during lunch, and people to team up with for team projects. But no boys ever mentioned any of this. And none of us have any girlfriends, except me, but I don't think Claire really counts as a girlfriend now. I'm pretty sure she just said yes back then to be nice. And she just kissed me the way an adult kisses a child.

At least this class explains a lot of things so that's kind of nice. Now I know I actually haven't been wetting the bed. I'm super relieved. I thought something was seriously wrong with me.

I never told Mom. The first time it happened, I threw everything in the washing machine and did a load before my parents woke up. The washing machine is in the basement. No one heard. And after that, just to be careful I've been sleeping with three layers of underwear, one pair of shorts and one pair of sweatpants. It's super uncomfortable, but it's worked fine so far. I've never been able to wet through all of those layers of clothes and I wash them in secret. I seriously thought my penis was broken, what with the wetting the bed and changing size and getting hard sometimes. I've also been shaving the hair on top of it with my Mom's razor.

The really disturbing part though is the making babies' part. I never really thought about what was going on in girls pants before and where babies actually came from. I'm pretty disturbed.

And now I think about my parents actually doing it and it's just wrong. Screaming at each other all night, sure, that they can do, doing the naked rumble? Never.

It doesn't stop there though. I start thinking about everyone with kids having sex. And then I start thinking about everyone having sex.

I think about Claire, naked, having sex.

I can't help it, thinking about that makes my hand go places it shouldn't go and when I do I almost wet all the way through the sweatpants.

I try never to do that again.

I fail.