Chapter 2 Intense

Waking up to a tapping on my shoulder I immediatly become high alert of my surroundings , seeing a young man ? - Kid ? Boy ? Whatever you call him , he's close to my age - hovering over me , very close to my face .

Immediatly getting defensive - out of fear - I grip him by the arm and threw him over my shoulder,  making him groan in pain . Getting up I faced him as I watched him get up slowly,  putting his hands up in surrender.  While eyeing him carefully , he slowly makes his way towards me . Taking careful steps to me , like one would approach an injured animal.

Keeping my eyes narrowed and my guard up I just watch him , preparing myself to run at any given  moment,  if need be  .

"I'm not going to hurt you . "

He spoke to me in a soft childlike tone as if I were some delicate china that could break any second .

Not saying a word back , I take a step back , distancing myself from him.

"It's okay. I'm really not going to hurt you. I'm just like you. "

While keeping my face stern I raise a curious brow at him , still not saying anything.

"I'm on the run . Well , was . So please don't run . I can help . "

"And how do I know I can trust you ? " I said somehow finding my voice to answer him .

"You don't. But it's a risk you'll have to take if you wish to survive. "

"I don't know you . And I have absolutely no idea how you found me . But I'm not going anywhere with you . I'd rather die on my own than willingly giving myself up to die with a stranger. "

"I don't understand? Why are you here then ? I mean I thought you knew about us that's why you're here ? "

"What are you talking about?  "

"I'm talking about the river-or stream . I thought you knew about us , that's why you followed the stream here.  "

Every word he said made me question more and more,  why I was still standing before him and not running already . It all made me feel very uneasy , even though he probably didn't mean anything by it and used a soft tone .

"Listen , I have no idea what you're talking about but , I was chased last night and ran until I couldn't anymore. I found a stream with dead bodies , thought it was the perfect way to blend in and hide for the night , and now I'm here ."

He just looked at me curious,  probably not 'buying' my story .

He had just as many trust issues as I had .

I watched him arch his brow , clearly stating his disbelief,  "and how do I know I can trust you" he asked , folding his arms over his chest .

"You don't. But it's a risk you'll have to take . " I quoted his previous answer. 

He didn't say a word after that. 

Getting tired of his endless mindgames I turned around , slung my backpack on my back and walked off without another word.

"Wait!" He called behind me though I didn't even glance back at him.  I just kept walking .

I didn't have time for this , whatever this is that he's doing.

I rolled my eyes as he jogged up to me . Sighing I stopped and turned back to him , giving him an annoyed look .

"I'm sorry . I didn't mean it like that . Please don't leave . "

"Why not ? You can't keep me here. "

"True , but I can keep you safe . "

I scoffed at his remark .

Really?  Him ? Keep me safe ?

Yeah right .

"No thanks.  I can look after myself. Have been for a while now , so I'm good . "

I turned back and walked on, as he gripped me by the elbow , stopping me once again .

"What is your deal !? " I was passed annoyed now . Livid,  irritated, call it what you want , but this boat wasn't going to float with me. "Why do you keep stopping me !? I don't know you and quite frankly I don't think I want to.  So please keep your hands off of me and leave me alone !" I practically yelled it in his face though he didn't seemed fazed . A little taken back by my outburst but not bothered in the least. 

"I'm sorry I can't do that . " he replied calmly , making me even more upset .

"Why not !? "

"Because you're here now . Which means you're under my protection . Meaning you're my responsibility. "

"Oh really ? Good luck with that . I don't need a babysitter thank you very much .And I certainly don't need your help . "

"Um I think you do . You see you and I are in the same boat. We're both hiding from a life we don't want to be in . So unless you want to get captured , you need my help . Because whether you like it or not , you need me . Face it princess . "

He started to get just as annoyed as I already was . But co operation wasn't one of my strengths , the sooner he knew that the better .

"I don't need anyone . I'm fine by myself.  Infact I prefer it that way . People just hold me back . They disappoint.  I don't need it . I don't  need them . Besides I don't need someone as uptight as you , talking my ears off . "

"Yeah ? Well I don't need some spoiled princess who thinks she knows everything clinging to my jacket . " 

"Well I don't need some wanna be knight in shining armour thinking he's a hero to save me . "

"And I don't need some pretty rich girl thinking she can get what she wants by batting her eyelashes and smiling . That ain't gonna cut here doll . "

"Good. "
"Good."
"Fine !"
"Fine !"

We gave eachother an intense stare down,  seeing who'll break first , before both of us burst into laughter. 

" I'm Luke by the way ."
"Andrea ."

I said as I picked my backpack up once again , following him back to base camp .

Thoughts ? Theories ? Ideas ? Let me know what your take was on this in the  comment section below ❤❤