Chapter 3 Time

Walking back we settled into a comfortable silience until he broke it .

"So ... how'd you end up here - I mean alone?"

I shifted uncomfortable, not really knowing how to say ' yeah my parent's are dead '. I mean there's no light way to put it .

I watched as he waited for my response, showing no emotion as he lead me through a leaf path way .

"Yeah , um ... you see ...my parents they ... they kind of left. "

"Left ? "

"Yeah ... they're gone . Forever. "

Thankfully catching on he just nod his head in understandment as I kept my gaze to the floor . Old memories I've suppressed for so long coming up to surface again .

"You ? " I asked trying to turn the topic of conversation away from me and my deceased parents .

"Foster home . Well , sort of . When the plague hit , it took most of our caretakers out along with some of my brothers and sisters . They thought it would be best to just let the rest of us go . Find help I guess . So here I am . "

The words he was saying was sad and depressing but the way he said it made it sound like the opposite . Like it didn't faze him at all .

We were once again met with the silence around us , to be honest not one knowing what to say after you basically told a stranger it's just you in this world .

"On a lighter note , " he said clapping his hand together, facing me with a smile "You, must be starving . We've got some food back at base camp. It's not the fancy food you're probably used to , but it keeps you alive. " he ended with a light hearted chuckle , making me forget about the depressing conversation we shared only moments ago .

"Cool. " Was all I answerd. I don't know why. I think having shared my most deepest intimate part of my past , made me clam up , shut down again . It was like the current me ,I've worked so hard to become - strong , independent, confident , fierce - got lost in the mist and my former, shy and insecure self took it's place. And I didn't like it .

I didn't like the person I was before. Sure I had friends , parents who loved me , anything my heart desired but, I was scared and alone. I was this shy , scrawny, scared little teenage girl who didn't even know how to survive in the real world , away from mommy and daddy's money and loving shelter , keeping her safe .

I had to learn .

To adjust.

It took everything from me .

I had to do a lot of growing up in such a short amount of time to be where I am today . To be , Alive .

"So this Amanda . She's 16 but she has the personality and mentality of a 22 year old . She's really mature for her age , and I think you two will get along pretty well . "

I greeted the short faded pink haired girl with a smile and a slight wave of my hand . I've never been good at meeting new people . I then followed Luke through the crowd until we came to a stop infront of what seems to be an old garage or storage unit .

I eyed him suspicionsly as he typed in some code , making the large metal door pull up .
Inside was like a mini room or home . There were four beds , a radio , an old faded carpet , dusty couch and two teenagers fighting over an apple in the corner of the room .

A snicker escaped my lips as I saw them fighting over something as little as an apple . But then again , an apple meant a lot now days , it's food. The only food . It's survival.

"Guys, this is Andrea. " Luke said , grabbing the attention of the fighting pair .

"Andrea , this is Ben and Cody. "

"Hi ." I said waving at the two guys , eyeing me .

Ben was tall , had dark brown hair and clearly worked out , guessing by his amount of muscle showing through his tight shirt . He had deep blue eyes and seemed to be the more rebellious or 'bad' one amongst the three .

Where as Cody was tall - but slightly shorter than Ben - had dirty blond hair and mesmerising brown hazel eyes . I could see two dimples when he smiled and he was also well built - just like every other guy I saw along the way - his Batman T- shirt lead me to the conclusion that he's funny , childish and probably the jokester among them .

What they thought about me , my Raven black hair and ocean blue eyes was a mystery to me .

I watched as Luke plopped on the second bed - against the wall - laying comfortably while observing me .

"Oh come on shorty , they won't bite . Not yet " he said in a teasing tone making the guys chuckle at his not so cute nickname for me.

"Here , you can take this one . It's the only one we have left and the only one left on campus . " I watched as he motioned to the empty bed at the front , my new bed , or so he says .

I now have to room with three guys . Three strangers. I'd be better off sleeping with the wolves . But not wanting to seem ungrateful - I mean they did open up their shelter to me , shared their food and space - I took my backpack down and placed it on the old wooden bed .

Taking my hand , I rub it across the faded blue teddy bear cover.

"It's not as fancy as you're used to princess, but it'll keep you warm enough at night . " Luke said , taking a bite out of the faded  green apple .

"It's good thanks. I had a set just like this when I was little . It was my favorite. "

He nod his head , continuing with his apple while I just stared at the odd pairs infront of me . Making me wonder what each of their stories were , who they were , who they are and how they ended up here .

"So , Andrea . " Cody said - taking a seat next to me .

"Andy . Call me Andy . "

"Cool . So , Andy how did Lukey boy over here end up coming across such a mysterious- in a beautiful kind of way - girl like you ? "

"It's kind of a long story ." I said , shifting my gaze to my terrible shaped nails that I kept biting when I'm stressed.

"We've got time . " Ben said , joining the conversation and the other side of me .

What do you think? What are your thoughts on Ben and Cody ? Do you think she's going to like it there ? Thoughts ? Theories ? Let me know down below ❤❤