Chapter 24 Sober

"You're such a good girl " I cooed , tying the top button of her onesie while she gave me a toothless grin.

It's been a week since Makenzie was born and although it's been the most challenging thing I've ever done in my life , I wouldn't give this experience up for the world. We've bonded so much and grown so much closer. We've formed a real connection .

Funny enough , since she was born - within this week - I've only seen Evan twice and both times it was only to escort me to doctor appointments and then he left. I've ment to ask him about it the next time that I see him , but I haven't seen him since .

I've even asked Emma about it to which she just promptly said ; " he must be busy "

I'm not going to lie , I've seriously considered the fact that he could simply just be busy . But no one can be THIS busy. I just get the strange feeling that he's avoiding me .

"You wanna go see Aunty Piper and Mason ?" I said to Kenzie , picking her up and walking out the door.

Hanging out with Piper and Mason is the only thing I've enjoyed doing and been doing since no one else visited me. But that's okay cause it gave us a chance to get to know each other a little more and share our stories of long nights and early mornings.

I walk into the butterfly room - along with the rest of the new mommies and their babies - seeing Piper wave us over .

"Hey girl !" She says , giving me a bone crushing hug. " I haven't seen you in like forever!"

"Piper , you saw me yesterday ." I said with a cheeky grin.

"Exactly that was too long ago. Do you know how hard it was to sleep last night?"

"Considering you have a new born ? Not much ." I said laughing as she gave me a playful hit on my shoulder .

We sat the babies down in their carriers as we sat across from eachother , Piper giving me a weird look.

I signed knowing exactly where this was going. "What do you want to know about Luke ? You basically know as much as I do ."

"Exactly , which is not enough. I need to know more about the father of my baby ."

"You and me both ." I mumbled, thinking she didn't hear me but of course she did.

She reached out her hand , taking mine. "I know it's probably so hard to be this uncertain and I can't imagine how conflicted you must be . But I'm here for you . When you need to talk or someone to listen ." She leaned forward looking around the room to see who's listening as she continued." Or if you need someone to help you break into the records office to get your file ." She said with a wink.

I just laughed at her ignorance. If only she knew what she was saying.

"Thanks, but I'm not quite ready to find out yet. And if I want to , I can always ask Evan to find out , he has access to all the Donor records. " I said shrugging .

I know I said things are a bit strange with Evan at the moment but I think, if it came down to it and I asked him such a big favour, he would ultimately put everything aside and help me out.

"How are things with Evan by the way ?"

"Honest answer? Weird . I haven't seen him since my last doctor's appointment, which was almost a week ago and I get this feeling that he's trying to avoid me ."

"I told you girl ."

"Do you think he's breaking up with me ? Is this his way of breaking up with me without actually saying the words ?" I trailed off as realization hit me. This could actually be a possibility.

"If it is , he'll have to watch out for me the next time I see him . Cause I'll mess him up , soldier or not. " she said seriously.

"And that's why you're my bestfriend." I said with a smile as I felt my sadness dissapear. She always knew what to say and when I needed to hear it.
After hanging out with Piper the whole day , I decided it was time Mackenzie and I went back to our room, to prepare for bed.

I sat her carrier down in the doorway as I struggled to get the door unlocked. I even took a step back to see if I was in the right hall at the right room but still it wouldn't budge.

I bent down , picking Kenzie back up to go to the reception when the door creaked open.

I guess all that pounding on the door really worked.

"See , I told you I'd get it. " I said proudly at Kenzie , backing into the room and closing the door before me when I no longer felt her carrier handle in my hand.

I turned around in fear at where she could've gone when familiar warm lips met mine. I immediatly knew it was Evan .

He held me close by the waist as he kissed me like there was no tommorow. It took all of my courage to push him away , but I had to.

I looked down , ashamed as he gave me a puzzled look.

"Evan, I ... you can't just expect me to forget everything and move on just from a kiss ..."

He lifted my head with his index fingers as I got lost in his brown orbs , but I had to stay strong.

"Of course not love . I'm just ... simply saying Hi ." He said with his usual charming smile.

"Well next time say hi like a normal person you weirdo." I said laughing it off and taking Kenzie over to her crib.

As I put her down I felt his presence behind me as I stiffend . I nervously turned around and tried not to show how nervous and flusterd he made me. So I pushed passed him - walking over to the couch - as I said ;

"You know , we'll have to talk about this. About us . Right? "

"Yeah, I know. But I thought...maybe we can catch up tonight? " he said leaning over me, hovering above me as he leaned down.

I pushed him off again , " what has gotten into you !? "

"Nothing baby , no come on . Give me some attention. " he said trying his luck again- reaching for my shirt buttons- as I pushed him off again while standing up myself.

" Are you drunk? Have you been drinking ?"

"I may have had a few drinks with the guys but I'm certainly NOT drunk." He said but I wasn't convinced.

Instead I walked him to the door as I opened it.

"Come back when you're sober . And you better have a damn good apology too" I said as I slammed the door in his face.

To think that I thought he was here to apologise and make things right. I was clearly wrong.

I walked over to Mackenzie as I saw her sleeping soundly , giving out slow breaths.

"I hope you never have to go through this baby girl." I said, covering her with her blanket as I made my way to bed too.

It's short but it's sweet 😋 what did you think? Thoughts on Evan's attitude? Let me know in the comment section below. See you in the next one my Lovelies ❤❤❤❤

New year , new chapters rolling your way . Be prepared for some stuff to go down 😉 and Happy New year to all you wondeful readers.