Chapter 5 Promise

We ran for what felt like miles . My legs were going to give out any second now , I can already feel the burning sensation rising up unto my thighs. I've never ran THIS much before.

I was growing tired , weak , slowing down with each pant that escaped my mouth .

I can't go any further .

I fell to my knees making Ben whip his head around looking at me .

He stopped in his tracks as Cody, Luke and Amanda did the same .
They all looked at me with confusion as to why I wasn't running . And Desperation for me to keep going so we wouldn't get caught. It made me feel bad to see them see me like this . Giving up . Giving in .

Ben kneeled before me - taking my face in his large hands - looking deep into my eyes .

"Andy , you can do this . I know you can . Come on , just ... get up . Please? " he spoke to me in a soft , quiet voice that made me feel at ease and relaxed.

"I can't go any further . My legs are burning and my lungs are on fire . Go without me . I'll survive . I did for a while now . I'm okay. " I said with tears in my eyes .

But I could tell that he saw right through my lies . Him and I both knew I wasn't going to survive the night on my own with Military officials hot on our tails . But I had to . To save them . I had to sacrifice something. And if I had to give myself up to save my 4 new friends then so be it .

"Andy , look at me . I'm not leaving you . Never . I promise you . You can do this , I know you can . If you don't want to do it for yourself then do it for me . I need you Andy . Please . "

I've never seen a grown man cry before but I guess there's a first for everything. Because I could've sworn I saw a stray tear leave Ben's eye , and roll down his perfectly sculpted cheek bone.

"Okay . I'll try. For you . " I said while he helped me back to my feet .

We then took off into a slow jog , trying to catch our breaths but not losing our pace . It was still dangerous and the night was young. We could still be in grave danger.

I stayed alongside Ben, taking a quick glance at him every once and a while , getting a smile in return when he caught me staring .

I think he wasn't that bad . I think he just puts up this tough exterior of a bad guy to protect anyone from seeing the fragile brokenness he hides underneath . I think deep down he's just looking for something.

Acceptance , Leadership, Respect , Love ?

But deep down I think he's a really great guy .

We all slowed our pace to a walk - after another few miles of running - after not hearing or seeing anything that could tell we were still in danger . So we all decided to keep on foot for the night and not rest . It was the best option now , given the situation we were in .

I walked in the middle with Amanda on my left and Ben on my right. Cody and Luke were both walking at the left of Amanda . We all fell silent as the twinkling stars filled the night sky with light , overcoming the darkness around us .

My eyes were fixed on the glowing miracles above me , taking in their immence beauty and existance . But my gaze was briskly broken when a warm hand met my cold one . It was when my gaze turned towards my hand that I saw Ben's hand intertwined with mine and him walking as if he didn't even realize what he was doing . As if he was completely oblivious to what his hand was doing.

I could've pulled away . I should've.

But I didn't.

I liked the feeling that his warm hand gave my cold one . He brought warmth not only to my shivering body but to my heart .

It didn't feel foreign or like a stranger who was holding my hand . It felt more like an old lover or acquaintance keeping me warm and safe. It felt , familiar.

So I didn't say a word or do anything , but judging by the murmers next to me I'm guessing that the others soon caught on . But I didn't mind . It's nothing serious . It doesn't mean anything, right?

We walked until the stars slowly started to grow fewer and faded along with the moon . Dusk was saying goodbye and Dawn was saying hello .

It was almost near the next day .

I walked in a comfortable silence until my arm got pulled back by Ben . Confused I wipped my head around seeing , not what I wanted to see .

6 government officials - all dressed in army green suits - were grabbing a hold of Ben , Luke and Cody.

Each had two men pinning them down from moving .

I looked at Amanda seeing her just as scared and confused as I was.

What if we were next ?

What if there's more coming ?

We had to do something.

We had to help.

"Ben !" I yelled out - running to him , only to be pulled back by Amanda -

I gave her a scowl for stopping me as she gave me an apologetic look in return .

"Andy , No ! Run ! " Ben yelled out , trying to break free from their grip .

"Ben , I can't leave you here ! "

"Run Andy ! It's your only chance. Run ! Now ! " he yelled out as I saw them pinning him down and stuffing a rag in his mouth .

I wanted so bad to go and help him but I knew I had to go .

I'll get him back , somehow .

I may have no idea how but I'll find my way back to him . That's a promise. 

With one last glance back at Ben , I see the life leaving his eyes and slowly start to flutter closed .

I mouthed an ' I love you ' as I then took off into a sprint along with Amanda. 

What do you think ? What's going to happen next?  What's the deal with Andy and Ben ? Let me know in the comment section below . Thanks for reading ❤❤❤