14

"What was that about?" Markus asked scratching the back of his head awkwardly. Simon wasn't sure if the best thing to do was tell Markus what had actually happened, so he didn't. "Oh, she just wanted to let me know to make sure you go into standby a little earlier next time." Simon gave him a smile, a forced one, but still a smile. "Huh..." Markus shrugged it off. "Hey, you up for another lesson.?" Simon gave Markus a suspicious look. "Don't worry, I'll enter stasis mode earlier, I promise." Simon couldn't find a reason why not so he obliged.

-

Once Simon and Markus got the stool, the art supplies, and a clean canvas, Markus suggested Simon make anything. "Paint something from your mind for now, we'll move one to more complicated things later." Simon took a deep breath and began painting away, this was a big improvement from last time, he was more confident in what he was making and moved more smoothly. Markus was impressed. After Simon finished, Markus volunteered to make minor adjustments. "Let me fix a couple things, this is art so you really shouldn't take my adjustments to heart." Markus began to paint. Simon wasn't really paying attention to the painting itself, he was looking at Markus' hand and how swiftly it moved. He glared at his face to check if it showed any signs of mental fatigue.

Nothing

All he saw was a calm man, drawing on his creation. A couple more seconds pass. "You know.." Markus said as with eyes still locked on the canvas, painting away. "You can't really learn anything if you stare at your teacher the entire time." Markus made some final adjustments and shifted his gaze on Simon. He winked. Simon's heart made a thump. Well not really, that's the best way Simon could describe it. He had discovered that he had been staring for longer than he wanted. Simon moved his eyes to look at anywhere besides Markus. "I wouldn't make that mistake again." Markus said in a exaggerative tone. Simon was able to give off a little smile but nothing more. "Anyway, I did some things, it's not the biggest difference. I hope that's okay." What was presented to Simon was an android, its skin was deactivated and it was looking to the sky with his hand on his chin as if he was thinking. Markus' adjustments consisted of; giving the android more shading, making the deactivates skin more textured, and giving the LED more emphasis.

There was definitely something about it that drew Simon in. "It's perfect." Simon gave him a nod of approval. Markus was glad that Simon liked it and Exchanged a smile with Simon. There was only one problem, they were staring at eachother for an abnormal about of time, but neither were complaining. Simon didn't mind staring at Markus' beautiful eyes, and Markus didn't mind watching Simon become flustered at there little staring session. He thought it was cute. "Anyway!" Simon cut in, "What now?" Markus thought for a second. "Try painting a zinnia." Simon was a little surprised that Markus wanted him to paint a flower, something do simple yet so meaningful, he didn't question him. He began painting, more swiftly with every stroke. Is this what it felt like to be Markus? Be at peace? To know what your doing?

After Simon finished his painting, he stepped back, it was two zinnias, a big green zinnia overlapping a small blue zinnia. Both blossomed beautifully. What Simon hadn't realized was what had inspired him to make them in such a way. But when he made eye contact with Markus, he made the connection. "You should give it a try Markus!" Simon said with a wide smile on his face.

"Me..? What would I paint?"

Simon got a clean canvas and placed it on the stool. He handed Markus the brush with the palette. "You tell me." Markus was having a little bit of artist block which is why he was teaching Simon instead of doing it himself, so painting at the moment was challenging for him. Simon noticed this and wanted to help, so he took Markus' hand and began guiding it on the canvas, showing him through all the possibilities. "Look, you could make a house, you could paint an animal, a garden, a flower, anything you'd like." Simon was waiting for Markus to begin painting on his own. He didn't. Simon grabbed Markus' free hand while slowly deactivating its skin. He was inviting Markus to connect, Markus graciously took the offer. "You could show how it felt when you arrived at Jericho." Simon said. He showed Markus how he felt when that had happened to him. Markus, in return, showed Simon as well. It was a strange thing for him though. Markus wasn't happy or scared. He wasn't sad or mad. He was lost and confused. Most androids felt grief and remorse for running away or doing something horrible to get away.

"You could also show how it felt when we won our freedom." Simon continued to show Markus how he felt about the situation. Markus became wide eyed in astonishment. "What's wrong Markus?" Simon tried to loosen his grip off him. "It's just.." Markus said as he didn't let Simon's hand go. "The way you felt.. towards me specifically, when we won." His astonishment soon grew weak and he switched it out with a smile. "It was very nice of you to think that Simon." He blushed and quickly jolted his hand out of Markus'. "So you know what you wanna paint?" Simon said awkwardly. Markus nodded and began. He insisted that Simon close his eyes as Markus wanted it to be a blind first look.

-

"You almost done?" Simon asked impatiently. He was tapping his feet to let Markus know. "Almost." After a little more of Simon hearing the friction of a brush rubbing against a canvas. Markus finally finished. "Alright, I'm done BUT, you can't look yet." Simon groaned. Maybe this is why Simon never found conferences interesting, then again who does? "Okay! On the count of 3.." Simon couldn't wait any longer. Before Markus hit 3, he found himself staring at his painting. Mouth hanging open.

"M- Markus.."

——————————————————
Call me Alexa again I dare you