22

Markus wasn't keeping track of the time but he knew they had spent quite a chunk of it comforting each other because Markus could see streaks of light coming from the windows. "Markus." Simon said softly. "You should probably put those books back where you found them before the store opens." Markus let Simon go, which felt weird. He gave Simon a long stare before he got up and put them back.

I fucked up didn't I? How could I do that to him? How could I do that to myself? I know its hard to maintain myself but I can't blame what happened on my lack of self control..

Markus knew it was his fault even though Simon said it wasn't. Obviously it was and Simon is just too nice to admit it. When Markus returned to Simon, he noticed that Simon pushed the chair back at the table it once was. What struck him as odd was the fact that Simon was sitting on the table looking at his palms as they fidgeted. "The store opens in 5 minutes, Markus." He stood silent. "When it does, try and catch up with North and Josh, run if you need to." Simon was avoiding eye contact as expected. "What about you?"

"I'll be fine, I'll head back to Jericho and take care of some androids." He looked up at Markus and smiled. Markus knew that that was a forced one. "I can walk with you." Markus suggested. "No.. no you can't. If you do you'll be late. I can walk by myself."

"Really Simon if I just-"

"Markus!" Simon had raised his voice which startled Markus. Simon wasn't the type to do that so Markus knew he was serious. "Please, just do what you have to do.." he said in a much faded tone. Markus didn't argue further. He walked up to Simon and sat next to him on the table. "So, I read the end of that book. It was kinda dark." Simon smiled to himself. "Yea, that's why I didn't read it."

"I'm guessing you didn't read that part to Victor either?" Simon shook his head. "No, but he would bug me all the time to finish it. I told him I would when he grew older." Markus smiled to himself as well. "Well you do realize that I'm not a kid."

"Well you act like one." Markus put his hand on his chest sarcastically. "Ouch." Simon chuckled softly. Markus wanted to ask a question he'd been wondering for a while, but didn't want to offend Simon. He figured he may as well ask but cautiously. "Were you.. scared..? When I.." Markus discontinued, hoping Simon knew his question. Simon deactivated the skin on his hand and stuck it out in front of Markus making no eye contact. Markus instinctively put his hand in Simon's. When he did he entered a whole other world, but not literally.

It was like his body was here but his mind was elsewhere. He felt unsure, confused, anxious, not scared, but nervous. In the mix of all that, he also felt pleasure and excitement. Two very different group of emotions. Simon knew Markus was getting in too deep so he let go of Markus' hand. All he could do was blink. He had no words to describe what he just experienced. "S-Simon.."

"I know, I was overreacting right..?" He said in a cold tone. Before Markus could answer, they both heard a bell. The bell that rung when someone entered the store. They both looked at each other and threw themselves on the floor quietly. When they did, they heard a mans voice. "Bring them in!" Simon's eyes widened. He went to take a peek but Markus held him down. "Got it, Scott!" At this point, Simon knew that voice. It sounded familiar.

"A little more.. Bingo! Good job, Vanessa!"

"It's Vanessa, Markus." He whispered. "Stay here, I'll bring the next batch." The bell had rung again signaling someone had left. Simon stood up only to be pulled back down by Markus. There really was no use of hiding at this point because Simon had gasped loudly, and considering androids have really good hearing, they were probably caught. "Hey! Who's there!"

Markus mouthed the word 'shit' but Simon stood up slowly. "Hey, Vanessa." He smiled awkwardly. "Simon!?" Markus stood up as well. "And your boyfriend?! What are you guys doing here?!" Simon's face became blue. "He's not my boyfriend-" Before he could finish answering, Vanessa's walker talkie went off.

Hey, can you open the door for me? I've got a box full of heavy books.

"Fuck! Umm- just hide somewhere!" Simon and Markus both crawled behind a bookshelf and waited. The bell rang again. "These are the classics and they're really old, be careful with them."

"I will! But umm.. can you do me a favor please, Scott?" She batted her eyelashes. "Uh- sure."

"Great! Just follow me here. It's in the back of the library." Simon and Markus took that as their chance to flee. When they both knew the coast was clear, Markus and Simon sprinted towards the door. The bell rang, but before anyone had enough time to figure out who left, they were already gone.

-

Markus and Simon had ran to the end of the walkway and started walking. "That's crazy." Simon said out of breath. "I didn't even know Vanessa worked there." They both walked until they reached mid way to Jericho. "Alright, Markus be quick okay?" Markus nodded and they both walked different ways. "Simon!" He stopped and looked back at Markus. His face looked like he wanted to say something but he never did. "Never mind.." Markus continued walking and so did Simon.

Usually Simon would take the short way back but he really needed relaxation so he went through the garden. He walked extra slow so he could catch every detail of the flowers. At some point, Simon heard footsteps behind him but he ignored them. Soon they grew so loud that he turned his head and dropped to the floor. "Simon! Why the hell were you in my library!" Vanessa screamed. "Well you didn't have to tackle me to ask that." She furrowed her eyebrows. "Yes" Vanessa stood and put her hand out. "Yes I did." Simon grabbed it and stood up as well.

"So, explain yourself or I'll have to file a lawsuit against you!" Simon smiled. "I'm sorry, we'll we're sorry. Markus and I. We went there last night and got trapped inside when they closed. We didn't want to set of an alarm so we waited it out." She crossed her arms. "Where is that little twerp anyway!? Why isn't he here apologizing too?!" Simon continued walking. "He's at a board meeting."

"Board meeting?! What board meeting could possibly be so important?!" Vanessa said as she walked with Simon. He gave her a side glance. "One that grants androids right and freedom." She gasped. "Y-you m-mean to t-tell me that.." Simon smirked. "Yes, he is the leader of the-"

"YOU ARE DATING THE LEADER OF THE DEVIANTS?!?" Simon's face once again flushed blue. "I already told you, I'm not dating him." She giggled. "Still? I figured ever since I caught you two holding hands the other day you'd be humping like dogs by now." Simon stayed quiet. "What? Don't you like him?" Simon sighed heavily through his nose. "I don't know." Her mouth hung open. "You are literally given the chance to date our savior and you say 'I don't know'??! Not to mention he's one fine android."

——————————————————-
I literally imagined Vanessa as like one of those anime female characters with high pitched voices and there are no regrets. In other news, i hope you enjoyed this chapter!!