Captain Allen [1] Comforting Reassurance

A/n I'm pretty sure this is gender neutral???? It was 12 am when I wrote this so enjoy. Also Captain Allen's first name (since it wasn't given) is David. David Allen

My arms hugged a body pillow close, eyes opened, staring into the darkness of the room. Breathing long but calmed, tear long dried. Rubbing at my eyes I pushed myself up, bringing the pillow with me.

Sighing I leaned against the head rest of the bed, arms wrapping around the pillow once more, in search of a comfort I knew I would get from it. Shifting the eyes to where I knew the nightstand was I stared at the glowing blue numbers.

12:43 am.

Looking to the empty side of the bed I sucked in a stuttering breath, catching the familiar tremble of my lip as I fought back the new pool of tears that formed within my eyes. Reaching over to the table I grabbed my phone. My hands working on autopilot. The phone only rang once before a familiar voice filled my ear.

"Y/n?" His voice held worry, concerned. "Are you coming home soon?" As much as I tried to keep my voice steady it betrayed me. A fresh waterfall of tears soon cascaded down my cheeks. "Are you okay?" Shifting to lay down I placed David on speaker. His voice echoing around the once quiet room.

"I've got a few more reports to fill..." shuffling was heard before David spoke up once more. "I'll be home soon okay?" His voice was muffled momentarily, talking to who I assumed as another member of his team. "Don't hang up..." silence followed my quiet request, once that had me holding the phone closer to me. "I won't, did you want to talk about it?"

The sound of a door opening and closing in the background caught my attention. Sighing quietly I pulled the body pillow once more towards my body. Holding it close I changed the subject. "How was work today?" Hearing a hum from David I knew he wouldn't let me escape from telling him what happened once he was home.

"It was okay, slow day, everyone was mostly left to do paperwork, what about you?" Closing my eyes I allowed myself to focus on the sound of David's voice. "I didn't do much..." pausing I let a quiet laugh out "Oreo got into the cat nip again" I heard a chuckle of amusement from the other side of the phone.

"What about Koda?" At the sound of his name a German Shepherd jumped up onto the bed, his face being illuminated by the faint light of my phone screen. "A good boy as always." At the words good boy Koda laid down, resting his head by the phone, his body curled up on the pillow and again my body.

"I expected nothing less from a police dog" running my hands through the long haired German Shepherd I smiled tiredly. "Retired police dog" I corrected, my eyes closed, feeling heavier as the seconds passed, it became a struggle to keep them opened.

"A police dog nonetheless..." a silence came between us, my hand in Koda's fur coming to a stop as I struggled to keep myself awake. "Y/n?" I hummed quietly to myself as I willed my hand to continue to pet Koda. "I'll be home soon, you should try to go back to sleep."

At the thought of being left in the silence of the bedroom once more I shook myself, in my tired haze forgetting that David couldn't see me. "No... no I'll wait." I heard a quietly chuckle. "I'll talk, you'll fall asleep soon, I can tell." Turning my head I buried into the pillow.

David took my silence as his que to continue talking. His voice this time took on a softer tone, as if her were lulling me into sleep. "We should get another dog, perhaps a cat... Koda and Oreo aren't going to be around forever sadly... you mentioned a husky before... a puppy, we shoulf go to the shelter first." Smiling to myself I relaxed, David's voices growing more distant as the seconds passed.

The soft sound of metal hitting metal woke me up once more, Koda was sitting now, his collar in the hand of who I saw to be David; urged the dog off the bed, quietly telling him to lay back down in his bed in the corner of the room.

Rubbing my eyes I looked up, David wore a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. "Mans best friend" laughing to himself he let the dogs collar go as he hopped the rest of the way off the bed himself. "Stealing my girlfriend." Sighing he pat the dogs head. "You're a good boy though Koda" the bed shifted once more, dipping under the newly added weight.

"David..." shifting myself I made room for the SWAT captain. "shit... I didn't mean to wake you" shaking my head I pulled the Captain down beside me, my arms instinctively wrapping around his body. Nuzzling my head into his neck and soaking up his warmth. "I wasn't sleeping..." feeling him shift a bit I closed my eyes once more, a small tired smile making its way to my face. "Sounds like you were." David wrapped his arms around my waist, his voice quiet as if I were still asleep.

I felt his lips press against my temple and I sighed. Content being held within David's arms. "Sleep, we can talk tomorrow" I felt his hand rub circles into my back, lulling me back into the slumber I had been in moments ago. Sleep wrapping me once more into its arms for the third time that night. "I love you, David..." in the few seconds before falling to my exhaustion I heard David speak, his voice quiet and hardly noticed by my ears.

"I love you too Y/n"