[7] - Unresponsive

stranger | female lead

*

"Did you talk to him yest—"

"Why am I like this? "

"Like what?"

"I can't seem to do anything right."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I screw things up, constantly. D-Dec is a...good guy. It's my fault that he treats me like this..."

"No it's not. He's gone through the heartbreak of death and that's what changed him. Not you."

"Maybe. Maybe not. I'm just a bad girlfriend. Always wanting to go on dates, always wanting to be around him, always wanting some sort of affection. Then he treats me like the piece of shit that I am. I don't deserve him. I don't deserve anyone..."

"He's the one that doesn't deserve you, alright? You're not a piece of shit and you deserve the world."

"No...I—I don't."

"Yes you do. If Dec makes you feel like this, then he's the piece of shit. Guys should make their girlfriends feel like a queen. Take them on dates, hold them when they aren't feeling well, tell them that everything is gonna be ok. He hasn't done that, has he."

"Well...no."

"What if he hurts you? What then? It could be on accident—or not—but either way, he will. He's hurting you now. Mentally and might even be physically. I know you won't tell me the truth. I know I'm just a random stranger. I've been in your position before and I want to help but I can only help if you let me in. Tell me the truth."

"I'm just so...afraid that if I won't have him, I won't have anyone anymore. Some call it Monophobia, or anxiety. I've been prescribed medication before but it's never helped. Maybe I'm not curable. I just don't want to be here sometimes."

"Like in your do—"

"My dorm, this college, this town, this fucking world."

"..."

"It'll never get better. I can't get better and I don't know what to do."

"Let me help you—"

"Maybe I don't want any help. Maybe I just want to suffer."

"You don't."

"And how the hell would you know?"

"Because...I've tried killing myself before."

"You have?"

"Yeah. It's not the painless experience you'd think. In those last moments you have left to breath and think of what may come after, memories come flooding in. Good and bad. It hurts, so much. More painful than anything. Like being pelted with bullets."

"What happened after..."

"My friend knocked on the bathroom. He left his phone inside but when I didn't answer...he knew my problems with depression and burst through to find me face down in the bathtub unresponsive."

"Oh my god..."

"I was rushed to the hospital. I remember hearing his voice, urging me to wake up. Cooper never cries. He's always the one to try and make everyone laugh. But in that car, that day, he was yelling, tears falling one right after the other. I've never seen someone so...broken, so worried, before. That was a turning point for me."

"He asked me why I did what I did. And you want to know what I said?"

"What?"

"I said that I felt alone. Being in that hospital and seeing his tired eyes hurt, maybe even more than being pelted by bullets. I almost took his best friend away. That moment has been burned into my conscious ever since. It reminds me to never let myself get to that point and that if I start feeling depressed, I'd tell him immediately so WE can do something about it."

"..."

"Only a few people know that story. You're one of them. I trust you."

"..."

"What do you say?"

"Do you trust—"

"Alex."

"What?"

"My name...I-It's Alex."

*
Dannggg. My feels. Why. Do I. Do this.
This was a hefty chapter. Pretty good if I do say so myself :)

Overview:
• Alex wants to kill herself. She's depressed and feels alone and thinks it's her fault. Our male MC tells her a story that reminded him of her feelings. He doesn't want her to result in suicide, like he'd attempted once before. He trusts her, and she trusts him, but there's still a lot of work ahead.

QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT:
• What else has our male MC gone through? What sort of hurts has he endured?
• Will Alex tell Declan how she feels? What do you think his reaction would be like?

Don't forget to:

<<< Comment what you think >>>
<<< Vote if you liked >>>
<<< Share with your friends >>>
<<< Follow & Add my book to your reading list for updates >>>

Till next time

❤️