Bonus Chapter (3)

oliver | alex

*

"You still haven't told me where we're going."

Her blue Prius cruises along the smooth, winding back roads as they head out of town.

"For the hundredth time, it's a surprise."

"But you only do surprises when it's a special event. What's happening today?"

"I don't know."

"Bull."

"You tell me."

"You released your first article today?"

"No, that's not happening until next week. I'm still working on it."

"Ok well..."

"..."

"Oh you got a raise?"

"Nope."

"It's not your birthday, that's next week too."

"I don't have anything going on..."

"..."

"I have no idea."

"There's no way you can guess. I was just pulling your leg."

"I hate to break it to ya Alex but, no one says that anymore."

"Oh yeah? Well I'm gonna make it cool again."

Oliver chuckles, peering out the window as a bunch of greens and browns begin blurring together. He zones out, subconsciously thinking about Alex, how happy she's made him, and how stupid he's been for not asking her out yet.

"So, I'm curious..."

"Go onnnn..."

"How was work this week?"

"Wow, and here I thought it was going to be some juicy question."

"It was good. I actually really like it. I'm able to take photos and publish articles to go with them. 'Crime scene photographer and article writer extraordinaire'! I've been working on one that's gonna be great. The content though, for pictures, has been limited because they're in-the-moment kind of things."

"Can I know what it's about?"

"Nope. Gotta wait like everyone else."

"Oh come on. Don't I get special treatment?"

"For what? Scaring me awake saying there was a spider on my face and having Cam dump a bucket of water on my head? Reallllll mature, Merritt."

"Oh ooookkkk Ms. Adler. What about that time you and Cooper flipped my mattress while I was on it?!"

"You have to admit. That was kinda funny."