Chapter 3

“Nico-chan?!” Honoka called as they walked down the street.

“Shut up. Yelling will make her run more. She will avoid us at all costs.” Umi hit Honoka on the head.

“Ow… gomen!” Honoka yelped.

“Where do you think she'd go?” Hanayo asked, examining the area around them.

Rin jumped excitedly, “I bet she went home, nya!”

“It wouldn't hurt to check, I guess.” Umi mumbled.

The girls headed on their way to Nico’s house. They made occasional stops incase Nico didn't actually go home and was hiding out nearby. They didn't see her anywhere and before they knew it they arrived at her house.

Rin and Kotori went up to the door and knocked. The others were scattered around the exits incase Nico tried to run for it.

The door opened to reveal Nico. They moment she saw them, she slammed to door shut and locked it.

“Nico-chan! Open the door!” Rin demanded, knocking again.

“Hey! Don't you dare think about running!” A shout came from behind the house.

Everyone ran to the side to find Umi restraining Nico. Nico was struggling to free herself from the death grip Umi had on her.

“Nico-chan, we just wanna talk.” Honoka stated.

“I don't wanna talk!” Nico yelled, still struggling against Umi.

Umi sighed, “You're not going until you talk.”

“Let me go!” Nico stomped on Umi’s foot.

Umi let out a yelp and loosened her grip. Nico made a dash for it, but was tackled by Rin. Everyone gathered around them.

“One question is all I'll answer.” Nico muttered as she sat up, Rin keeping a from hold on her.

“Why did you do that to Maki-chan?” Kotori asked, knowing that was the most important thing to find out now.

“She deserved it. I hate her.” Nico stated, making sure to enunciate ‘hate’.

“Why? What did she do?” Hanayo asked.

“Ask her. I'm done answering questions!” Nico got up and stormed back into her house.

The girls glanced at each other, “Should we go and try again?”

“No. We got an answer. Let's head back.” Umi replied.

Everyone sighed and started the trek back to the school, assuming that Nozomi, Eli, and Maki were still there.

“I just don't get it. They didn't hate each other before.”

“I know. I wonder what changed.”

“Maybe one of them did something that made the other mad?”

“Maybe. There's too many options.”

“I highly doubt it was on purpose. Whatever happened must've been by accident.”

“Yeah. We'd never go out of our way to hurt someone.”

While the girls chatted and walked back, the other three were in the nurse’s office. They had caught her right before she was going to leave.

“Well, it should be fine as long as you don't put much pressure on it. I'll wrap it up and when you get home, put some ice on it. Refrain from physical activity for a while.” The nurse explained, as she reached for the small med kit she had.

“If it doesn't stop hurting after a few days, I suggest getting a doctor to look at it then.”

“Alright, thank you.” Eli said.

“Stay out of trouble girls.” The nurse said after she finished and left.

“Shall we wait here for the others to get back?” Eli asked, looking out the window.

“Probably. They'll want to know what happened.” Maki said.

The three of them sat in awkward silence, no one knowing if they should say anything. After a few minutes like that, they saw the others running there way.

“Looks like they're back.” Eli mumbled, watching them.

Two minutes later, everyone was gathered in the small room. Everyone took a seat somewhere in the room. Maki and Eli were on the bed. Nozomi was in a seat beside them. Umi was leaning against a cabinet, refusing to sit on the ground. Everyone else was sitting on the ground, looking at Maki.

“What?” Maki asked, looking at everyone.

“Aren't you gonna tell us what happened?” Honoka asked.

Maki sighed, “Do I have to?”

“Yes. We're getting an explanation.” Umi nodded.

“Where do you want me to start?” Maki mumbled, knowing there was no way around it.

Everyone thought about it for a little, “When did this start?”

“Maybe two weeks ago. It was after practice, Nico wanted to talk to me. I thought she was just gonna talk about the normal stuff, but then she started yelling at me. She said she hates me because I have everything she doesn't have.” Maki said.

“Why did you guys fight today?” Hanayo asked.

“She got mad that I wasn't responding to her harassment and attacked me.” Maki replied.

“Oh… are you okay?” Kotori asked.

“Y-Yeah. I just can't put pressure on my leg.” Maki stammered out.

“So you can't practice for a while then?”

“Yeah. It's fine. It doesn't matter.”

“Well, we should head home.” Umi walked to the door.

“Yeah. We have a lot of work to do tomorrow.” Honoka agreed.

Everyone started walking out of the room, agreeing they should go home.

“So, what are you gonna do?” Nozomi asked Maki.

“Uh… I don't know.”

“You can't get home by yourself.” Eli pointed out.

“I know that.” Maki groaned.

“Eli-chi, you can go home. I'll take her.” Nozomi said.

“Are you sure?” Eli asked.

Nozomi nodded, “Yes. I'm sure.”

Eli sighed and left the room. Maki stared at Nozomi, not really liking her decision.

“You can hop if you want. I won't make you climb on my back again.” Nozomi said.

“O-okay.” Maki stammered as she stood up, balancing on her one leg.

Nozomi wrapped an arm around Maki to steady her. The two of them slowly made their way out of the school and to Maki’s house, taking breaks along the way.

“Are you good?” Nozomi asked as they arrived.

Maki nodded, “Yeah.”

Nozomi nodded and turned to leave.

“N-Nozomi!” Maki called.

“Hm?” Nozomi turned back around.

“Uh, t-thanks.” Maki mumbled, her face turning red.

Nozomi smiled at her, “See, was that so hard to say?”

“H-Hey!” Maki stammered out, but Nozomi had already left.

Maki sighed as she limped into her house.