Chapter 21

When Nico woke the next morning, she was expecting, well, more like hoping, that Maki would be either asleep beside her or in her own room. Nico instead woke to silence, something she was not used to. Normally Maki would wake before her and be in the living room watching TV.

Nico slowly forced herself to get out of bed and leave the room. She walked around the house, checking for signs of Maki, She came up empty though. It had seemed as though Maki had just vanished.

Nico dreaded what she would have to do if she couldn't find Maki. She grabbed her phone and texted the others, hoping one of them might know where Maki was. But, much to her dismay, no one had any idea where the girl could be. Everyone seemed to be just as concerned as Nico was.

"Oh, Maki, where on earth are you?" Nico mumbled as she nervously paced around.

She desperately wanted to go and search for her, but she knew it wouldn't be a good idea to do that alone. As much as Nico didn't want to admit it, she had very little hope that Maki was safe. Nico couldn't help but start to wonder if someone had kidnapped her.

But, who could that have been, Nico wondered.

"Her dad." Nico decided, "He did something to her. I'm gonna kill that bastard if I find him!"

Nico calmed herself as she went to get ready for school. It was no use trying to solve anything without help. She knew better than to rush into something as serious as this. It could end very badly for her or for Maki.

...

"Still no Maki?"

Once Nico arrived at the school gate, she was met with the other seven members. They all had hints of worry on their faces. Everyone knew something was going on.

"No... I think her dad did something to her." Nico gave her theory.

"Why do you say that?" Honoka asked, "Sure he doesn't like her, but why would he do that?"

"I don't know, but who else could it be that we know of? If it isn't him, then that means we have no idea who hurt her." Nico sighed.

"What can we do?"

"Well. Unfortunately, you can't file a report until at least three days. So, we'll just have to try and find her ourselves." Eli stated, a frown appearing on her face.

"Alright. Let's do that!"

"After school, idiot."

"Okay..."

...

After school the eight girls met up outside of the school. They were talking in hushed whispers about the plan they were attempting to make.

"If any of us show up, he's gonna know. If he truly has Maki-chan, she could get hurt. We have to be very secretive." As usual, Umi took charge in forming the initial plan.

"How can we do that?" Rin asked.

"Maybe if we can time it so no one should be home, we might be able to get a closer look." Nico suggested.

"That could work, but do we know of they'll both be out?"

"Well, only one way to find out. Let's go spying!"

"Is that legal?"

"I don't know why you'd even think it would be."

...

They decided that four of them would spy on the house and four would be on standby if anything happened. They didn't have any idea how this would end up going.

The group spying consisted of Nico, Eli, Umi, and Rin. The other four, Nozomi, Kotori, Honoka, and Hanayo, were at the park waiting for any texts or calls from the others.

"Are they even home now?" Rin asked, getting inpatient with having to hide in a bush.

"Yes. I saw them pass the window a few seconds ago." Umi replied.

Umi and Eli were watching to interior through windows. Umi and Rin were in the front of the house and Eli and Nico were on the opposite side.

Rin felt her phone buzz and pulled it out, "Nico texted."

"What does it say?" Umi asked, not taking her eyes off the house.

"She said it looks like they're not leaving anytime soon." Rin sighed.

"Well, if it gets dark, we'll have to leave whether we have evidence or not." Umi stated.

"Do you really think Maki-chan is here, nya?" Rin asked.

Umi shrugged, "I don't know. That's why we're here."

They fell into silence for a while. No movement came from the windows they could see. It was looking hopeless.

Rin's phone buzzed again. She pulled it out and started reading it. She didn't say anything to Umi about it for a few minutes.

"Maki-chan is here. They heard her." Rin eventually told Umi.

"Why did you hesitate?" Umi asked her, finally turning to look at Rin.

"It wasn't very pleasing sounds they heard from her..." Rin mumbled, "They heard yells of pain."

"Tell them to head to the park. Let's group up." Umi told Rin as she stood up and snuck out of sight of the house.

Rin followed her while texting Nico back. They hurriedly walked across the town to the park. The sun was starting to go down. Soon it would be dark.

Now all they had to do was figure out a way to get Maki out and away from them again. That could be a bit challenging. Going to the cops could go bad. After all, they did just stalk them to find out Maki's whereabouts.

They had to do this alone. No one could help them. So now the only question was how to do that. How could they get inside without being noticed?