Chapter 25. Truth

Elina's POV

[BEFORE EVAN'S CONFESSION]

The winter air raised goosebumps on my skin as I walked in the garden. These two days have been hectic. Return of James, he being a hybrid, someone plotting something big, the return of Claire, James' lost memory and so much more. I am really exhausted by these many things.

"Hey, beautiful! What you doing?" I turned around to look at Daniel who was grinning even in these horrid situations. He approached me and joined me for the walk by walking beside me.

"Just thinking. There's so much happening." I sighed, "By the way, why didn't you'll include the queen when you wanted to interrogate James?"

That question had been stuck in my mind since the secret meeting. I was totally confused as to why they all did the whole James and interrogation thing without the knowledge of the Queen.

Danny started scratching the back of his neck as he replied "You see, the Queen took the whole hybrid attack situation leniently even though she was the one who was attacked which made Evan and me both suspicious. She isn't taking the situation seriously but it is serious. Someone creating a Hybrid and letting him out to kill was really strange. Even if there are hybrids, they don't show themselves because it might result in their death. And then the whole sire bond thing makes it more chaotic. Someone's planning something big against us. So, we thought it would be better if we reach the root of this problem first before informing the Queen."

Okay, that was one big explanation. I didn't expect Danny to reveal so much but then it's not like I am not already included in all of this secret plan.

The queen actually gave me weird vibes but I didn't know others were suspicious as well. I don't know why but thinking about that queen gave me chills for some unknown reasons.

"So where's Ariel?" I asked trying to change the subject.

I haven't seen her since the discussion in the study.  She wasn't even present during Claire's little magic show when we were in the dungeon with James.

"She's resting in the guest room. I sent her there before we...you know went to the dungeons. Didn't want my sister to get involved in any sort of danger." He retorted.

I nodded understanding his concern.

"So, what's going on with you and Evan?" He asked wiggling his eyebrows making me snap my head in his direction.

Me and Evan?

"Nothing is going on, Danny." I couldn't hide the tint of pink occurring on my cheeks. Ugh...what's wrong with me?! It's not like there's actually something going on between Evan and me! Maybe...

"Ah, come on. The way he looks at you, it tells it all, deary. Well, did you guys kiss?" He raised his perfectly shaped brow with a smirk evident on his face.

The time when Evan kissed me played in my mind bringing back those weird feelings I felt for him. If my face could be any redder. It would be now. I didn't expect Danny to be so OPEN-MINDED

"You did!" He squealed.

"Shut up, Danny." I placed my palms on his mouth to shut him up. By his high pitched voice, I guess the whole mansion must have heard. I wish not.

My efforts went in vain as he shoved my hand to speak again.

"Wow this is amazing, I will go inform Claire. She'll be excited to know." He said before running inside the mansion.

I couldn't even stop him. These supernaturals are so damn fast!

I don't want Danny to go tell everyone about.... screw that. I tried to stop thinking about Evan but it seems that it is impossible. After thousands of attempts to think of something else like peanuts, cakes or anything which all went in vain, I decided to head back to the mansion to catch some sleep. It was a tiring day after all.

"Going somewhere Evan's little mate?" I stopped still in my tracks immediately recognising the voice.

Anger was bubbling inside me as I spat at her, "What do you mean by Evan's mate, Giselle?" 

I don't even know why I asked that! I mean...I should have asked who was the woman she was talking at the ball or what was she plotting. Hell! I should have asked why was she even present here.

But that question just slipped off my tongue like I didn't have any control.

Why did she call me Evan's mate?

Werewolves have mates. Not vampires, right?

I snapped out of my thoughts when she started laughing, "You don't know? Well, let me tell you a little secret, sweetheart." She moved to stand in front of me.

Now that I noticed, her eyes were completely white like she has been possessed and even her voice was strangely different than her normal voice. More like the voice of that woman from the ball....

Nevertheless, she continued,

"You're a part of the royal prophecy predicted by the ultimate queen which is to happen after two hundred years. Not that I care. Afterall, it's nothing of my concern. It's just that you and Evan are one of the three pairs. The others are Claire and Jacob and Daniel and his future mate. Poor Claire thinks her mate is dead though. Why the hell am I explaining this now?" She looked annoyed.

"Just know that you're Evan's only weak point and I want your help." She stated finally.

I was still confused as to what she just said.

Mate. Prophecy. Ultimate Queen. One of three pairs.

Who does she mean by the ultimate queen? Who was she? Was their someone mightier than Evan and the werewolf queen?

And...

Claire had a mate who she supposedly thinks is dead. Is he dead or not?

My mind was a frenzy. I needed answers but first focused on the thing I needed to say.

"Why do you think I would help you?" I crossed my arms over my chest. "And how do you know about the whole me being Evan's mate thing or whatever it means."

"I know everything. It's none of your concern. And about why you would help me." A smirk made its way on her lips. "Evan is the one who killed your parents."

Everything sounded faint after that as my thoughts drifted to what she said.

Evan is the one who killed your parents.

That couldn't be true. She has to be lying. She is lying. But when I think back about the way Evan killed Maria just like the way that mysterious vampire killed my parents. I can't stop but think maybe she is right.

I remember a day when Stephen told me that there was a time when Evan lost his control and was on a killing spree because of his powers.

How much I didn't want to, it all made sense. But I wouldn't show that to Giselle.

My throat felt constricted but I managed to speak, "You're lying."

She chuckled, "Aww. Don't deny it. You know it might be true. Just for your assurance, ask Evan about it and observe his change of behaviour after that. You'll come to know. He knows all about it-"

She stopped talking as her ears perked up, "I guess it's time for me to go. I will see you soon." She started to leave but stopped midway.

"Oh, yeah. You can't say anyone about our little conversation." With that, she splashed something on my face-which seemed like mud-and disappeared.

I couldn't even stop her.

My mind swirled with the possibilities of Evan being my parent's murderer.

_________

Sorry for the late update😔

I wanted to inform that I won't be able to update this Sunday as I have exams but I'll try to update two chapters the week after.

The next chapter will be the continuation of the previous one:)