Chapter 41. Consequences

Elina's POV

My mind was still reeling from the events that took place within a span of few seconds.

One moment, I was terrified to hell when I thought that the sharp black dagger was going to hit me and the next moment, I was pushed to the ground and the dagger passed through Daniel's heart instead of mine.

I snapped out of my momentary shock and glanced down at Daniel's frame.

"Daniel!"

I laid Daniel's head on my lap as I crouched down to where he was on the ground. He was breathing unevenly as blood spluttered out from the place where the dagger was stuck in his chest.

"You're going to pay for this!" I heard Evan shout at someone which made me reluctantly look in his direction.

I regretted the moment I turned my head on witnessing the gory scene in front of me.

Evan separated the werewolf queen's head from her body and then his hand plucked out her heart twisting it in a gory manner before throwing it on the ground. I thought he was done there but he went on to kick the woman who had turned into something that represented a stone statue.

"Enough, Evan! We'll have to save Daniel," Claire held onto his shoulders trying to separate Evan from the queen and he thankfully obliged as next moment he was standing in front of me.

Okay, when did he even move?

Evan crouched down next to me where Daniel's head now rested on my lap.

"Hey, Buddy. Get up. Enough of your pranks man. You really scare us. Now get up," Evan shook Daniel but to no avail.

Daniel laid motionless without a single movement. His skin paler than ever.

"Why isn't he healing?! He's supposed to heal! He's a werewolf!" It was Ariel who had tears staining her pretty face.

"It was a black witch's dagger. It contains black magic. He won't heal, Ariel," James tried to comfort her by placing a hand on her shoulder.

James?

Now that I looked at him, he held a kind of pain in his eyes as he looked at Ariel who was weeping like a child.

Wait, what's happening here?

"No!" Ariel pushed his hand away, "He can't leave me! He promised me that he won't leave me!" She whimpered, "He's the only person who's left."

James crouched down to where Ariel was crying and held her in his embrace. His hand caressed her hair, "I understand, Mate. I understand."

Mate?

Okay, I'm really getting confused.

Is James Ariel's mate?

Ignoring that thought for now, I focused my attention on my surrounding.

The war seemed as if it has already ended. Many bodies of hybrids lied on the ground. Blood covered each and every corner of this field. There was a thick air of tension around as everyone's attention was on an almost dying Daniel.

Almost Dying...

Wait, Daniel isn't dead yet!

I can feel his heart beating slowly against his chest where my palm rested.

I have to do something!

"He's not dead yet! We can do something to save him!" I voiced out my thoughts a little too fast.