Chapter Four: Final Days

Hugo's P.O.V. 

      It's torture living like this. I grab my quill, twirling it around. Writing documents is the last thing I feel like doing so late at night. 

      "You're highness, it's late, you should head to the chambers. I'll make sure the guards escort you," Aya says, stepping into the room. 

      "Thank you, Aya, but I think I'll stay up a bit later tonight."

      "Are you sure you want to? You've been like this for weeks already, is there perhaps something on your mind? Something involving the-" she pauses for a second, looking behind her and then closing the door. "Is it about the betrothal?"  I pause, clicking my tongue on the roof of my mouth.

      "How-?"

      "Anyone can tell Hugo, the arrangement isn't mutual. Clio doesn't care much for it either." 

      "I don't have a choice in the matter, I suppose that if I had been told before about it, when father was still here, I would have been more open to it? But either way, I won't go through with it." 

      "Why not?" Aya asks, her green eyes turning to me.

      "Because... My heart belongs somewhere else."

     Three Days Later

      "Class," Miss Flora chimes, "You are in your last year here at Royale. It is important that you know how to run kingdoms," she pauses, and looks at me, "All by yourselves." Classes for the day end, and I rush in a blur to the skating rink. At least there's one place that I can find solace and comfort. 

      "Huh, odd to see you here," Axel says, skating to my side. 

      "Odd that you say that so many years later," I comment, smirking. He maintains a devilish grin, and I sigh. 

      "Wedding troubles?"

      "Clio wants it in a month. There has to be a loophole out of this, there is simply no way that I am marrying her." 

      "If you don't want to marry her, there is only one way that you can do so." Axel trails on, his expression turning into a frown. "You'd have to kill he-"

      "Absolutely not! There is no way that I would harm someone whom I've known for years to come! What kind of friend would I be, would you be?" 

      "You have to produce an heir! Don't you see, you belong with a queen like Sofia, somebody who isn't self-centered. Somebody with power, control. She's the best fit."

      "Then why would father think otherwise?" 

      "See, that's what I've been trying to figure out, and for some reason, I see no legitimate evidence."

      "What are you implying brother?"

      "Who delivered you news of the betrothal?"

      "Why, Clio herself, what difference does it make?"

      "Hugo, you're not thinking." I pause for a second, recollecting what Axel just said. 

      "We've been played for fools! The betrothal has to be said by the kingdom's liaison! But what purpose could they have by lying to us?" I ask. Axel turns his eyes up to me. 

      "I have no clu-"

And all goes black. 

END OF CHAPTER XD HOPE YOU LIKED IT BECAUSE I LOVE ME SOME CLIFFHANGERS SORRY GUYS PROMISED TO POST BUT DIDN'T BECAUSE I WANTED IT TO BE THE VERY BEST VERSION IT COULD BE! Comment if ya liked :P 

HAVE A NICE DAY MY LOVLIES!

-Lina