Chapter Eight: Playing the Game

James' P.O.V.

"Hildegard, have you chosen a dress for the event tonight?" I ask, turning my eyes towards hers.

"Of course. Worry less about the dress, and more about what Amber's announcement is going to be."

"Why would I need to worry?"

"Because she said it would be important."

"And how would you know that?" The question seems to take her off guard, but she responds with confidence,

"Because I'm me."

"Very well then, shall we go?" She nods her head in a small gesture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire ballroom is filled with nobles, courtesans, even monarchs, aside from the food of course. All night, I only think about why this crowd? What is Amber going to say?

"Ladies and gentlemen," she trails on. I guess there's not much for me to wait on. "I have summoned you here to court on behalf of my brother James. I knew it. I could hear the entire crowd gasp, but that was of no concern to me. "As I have been experiencing the journey of queen, I realize that the role is not mine to play, it's my brother's." Now you could really hear the people's outrage.

"But your majesty, how is that so? He's younger than you!" shouts a noble from the crowd.

"Though that might be true, I refuse to play queen in a kingdom that deserves better," she responds to the nobleman, shutting him up for good. "That is why I'm resigning my crown-and title, to James, your new King of Enchanica."

"Amber!" I whisper-shout, turning to her. "How could you do this without my agreement?"

"Because I couldn't do anything else." Just like that, the event ended, and Amber retired to her quarters. The people eyed me, and one man even started a chant,

"Hail King James!" What a load of rubbish.

As I tried finding Amber in her chambers, I realized, her possessions were moved out of the quarter. Including Hildegard's. Very well then.

"Guards," I snap, having the men turn their attention to me. "Find my sister, and her friend, and drag them back to court, whether it's the last thing you do." The men nod, and turn to do their duty. Not before I stop them, "And do find where Princess Sofia is, we need to have a chat." The guards leave, and I return to my quarters.

Game on, sisters.