Chapter Sixteen: Problem Solved?

Amber

"Your highness," my kingsguard says while bowing, "there is an intrusion from the north." The news surprises me. Enchancia has not been attacked in centuries, so who would dare pose such a threat?

"By who?" I ask.

"King Hugo," he says. I open my mouth in shock. "We must respond immediately, or else you can lose your throne, majesty."

"Very well then," I say. "Send the elite troops to the northern border."

---

Hugo

"Hugo, you cannot do this!" my liaison, Aya, shouts from the terrace. I turn around to face her. She's drenched from the pouring rain outside, and her eyes are widened in fear.

"I must, Aya. James is not allowing me to see my own child! My heir deserves to have a father," I respond.

"If you do this, you are starting a war that we cannot afford. We do not have enough resources, and you know that."

"I am not a foolish king, I know we lack numbers. However, our troops are far more skilled than Enchancia's."

"Very well, my king. I suppose out of loyalty I am destined to follow you."

We take the fleets all the way to Enchancia's northern sea. The journey was rocky, but I do not care enough. I will raise my daughter, and James will no longer rule his kingdom.

---

Amber

"They are still pushing, majesty!" I sigh. Hugo asked for it...

"King Hugo, retreat or face imprisonment by guards of Enchancia," I echo. His armies stop for a second to murmur amongst one another.

"Your cowardly brother could not even fight his own battles!" Hugo exclaims.

"James is no longer king of Enchancia," I state. We stand at opposing sides of the grassy battlefield. The rain makes it hard to see one another, but I notice Hugo make a shocked expression. Nonetheless, he signals for his men to attack. As do I.

In conclusion, the battlefield was a disaster. A pointless war, with blood spilled on both sides. We corner him and his liaison as they fight off a few of my men. I pull out my blue stone gifted by Cedric, and blast the remaining fleets of Hugo with water magic. They fly backwards onto pikes set out by my men. Hugo and his liaison survive long enough to remain somewhat conscious. We take them to the castle for reprimand.

---

Hugo

"Release us at once!" I exclaim. Amber scoffs.

"You dare attack my people and then ask me to spare you and show mercy?" she asks. I stay silent. "Ridiculous! You men think us women owe you the world. Well then, I have a lesson for you, King Hugo: blood will be spilled, but as long as it's not yours, victory is near." She snaps her fingers and a guard in black armor walks into the palace courtyard. I gasp, knowing what treachery is soon to occur. My shackles don't allow me to get up and stop what is going to happen.

"It has been an honor to serve you," Aya says. With one final motion, Amber signals for the guard to act. He grabs his weapon and cuts down Aya's neck with one clean chop. She lets out a final tear as her head rolls off the wooden platform. The scene is gruesome. I let out a gut-wrenching sob.

"Aya!" I cry out. For my liaison, I truly weep. Amber sighs.

"This is what happens when you attack Enchancia," she states.

"How dare you, you-"

"Take him to the dungeon," she says, interrupting me. I wipe away my tears. No point in weeping over lost soldiers any longer.

---

The guards throw me into a cell. I let out one final sob once I see them leave.

"Oh would you shut up?" a voice exclaims. My eyes widen.

"James?" I ask in shock.