Chapter Thirteen: Secrets Never Stay Hidden

Hugo

~

I turn my eyes towards Sofia's stomach, I simply cannot help myself. She's so visibly, pregnant. Did I do this? I was so busy I never had the chance to actually visit her, and now, she's fending for our baby?

"Hugo, it's not-"

"What it looks like?" I ask, motioning towards her stomach. James and Amber slowly walk out of the room. She sighs.

"I'm in ruin-"

"No, you're not," I cut off, cupping her hands in mine.

"Don't you understand?" she asks, pulling herself away from me. I look at her as she stares outside the window.

"I'm pregnant, and unmarried. There is simply no chance of survival for this baby and me-"

"Which is why I'm offering you, right now, to marry me," I state. She turns around, shocked.

"How can I marry a man I love when he only wants to do it for the child we created?" she asks.

"Because I would have never done it unless I loved you, Sofia, and I do. I love you." She stares at me, her jaw wide open.

      "I will need to think about this," she states, taking a deep breath. I nod.

       "I will let you process," I comment, exiting the chamber. I see James give me a glare in the halls.  I walk past him, only to hear the young King exclaim,

       "How dare you!" I freeze in my tracks, to have a huge fist swing at me and hit my face.

        "What is wrong with you!" I shout. He glares,

     "You knocked up my baby sister, that's what's wrong!" I grimace.

      "I love her," I state.

      "If you love her," he growls lowly, "then you'll leave her be."

      "I wouldn't be able to do that," I state.

      "Fine," he states cooly. "I'll make you." Amber gasps. "Guards, take him away." The men in red armor walk in and drag me by my arms. I jerk but it is of no use.

      "James!" Amber shouts. "Let him go right this instant."

      "Can't you see who he is, sister?"

      "No!" she exclaims,"I don't see who you are," Amber trails on.

      "Then perhaps you would like to join him?" James asks. Amber stands shocked by his comment.

     "It's not my fault that Hildegard loves me more than she ever could you. You are acting like a mad man. Enough. I would be in my right mind to snatch that crown straight off of your head, but I'm not going to. I have duties to myself, yours are to your people. Remember that," she states, snapping her fingers at the guards. They release me. James is fuming, but that doesn't stop me from leaving.

"Do not come back here, Hugo-"

"Enough, James," Sofia cuts off. I blush at the sight of her, but leave regardless.

I'm going to be a father.