Chapter Seventeen: The Return of One

~Sofia~

"Amber, where is James?" I ask shyly. I have a sneaking suspicion something's off.

"You'll see him soon," my sister says with a casual smile. I nod, but to be quite honest everything in the palace seems wrong. It's like the air is heavy.

"Okay then. Well I'll be heading to my nursing chambers. Would you like to come? We can watch over Elise together and talk for the first time in a while," I offer. Amber nods happily and we walk together. I still feel sore from the birth, but it's not keeping me from moving around.

In the nursery, I pick up Elise and swaddle her. She has little patches of brownish-red hair on her head. They make my heart warm.

"So..." Amber trails on. I place Elise down in her crib and turn my attention towards Amber.

"You and Hildegard are a thing?" I ask, smiling. Amber freezes, giving me a guilty look.

"Yes, we are."

"But you know she's married to James," I mention. Amber sighs.

"Love isn't easy. Sometimes, we can't help who we fall for," she murmurs. I take a deep breath.

"I get what that feels like. Loving someone that you can't be with--"

"But you can! You can be with Hugo, all you need to do is say the word," Amber cuts off.

"Even so, I don't think he loves me. He loves what I can offer him: an heir, and a royal bride with connections in both other kingdoms and magic."

"Are you delusional?" Amber asks me, completely shocked. "Hugo has been obsessed with you ever since you both went ice skating. It's all Axel talks about."

"Speaking of, what are you going to do about Axel? Does he know about you and Hilde?"

"Axel? Of course, he's practically my best friend at this point. I know he doesn't love me, and besides, we're not even betrothed so it's not as though we're under pressure to be married."

"That's really great. I'm sure things will work out well for you," I grin, giving Amber a hug.

"I'm glad you're back," she whispers.

"It sure feels good to be back," I respond.

~Hugo~

I wipe the tears from my face. Watching Aya die felt like a part got cut out of me.

"Are you crying?" James asks. "Seriously?"

"Shut up, James! You've become a real jerk lately."

"Well that sure seems to be what everyone thinks."

"Trust me, it's within good reason," I mutter.

"Say that to my face," he growls, walking closer towards my bars. Even though we're separated by a prison cage, his presence still makes me feel wary.

"And I mean really, controlling your sister's life just so that I can't be happy with her?" I ask. "You're pathetic."

James slams the metal bars with his fists,

"Oh I'll show you pathetic--"

"Enough!" a voice booms. James turns his head to the left and stares, his jaw dropping.

"Dad?!"