Chapter Five: When Things Come Into Play

WARNING CHILDREN: If you're like, say, under 14-15 ish, or you don't know what inappropriate stuff happens with adults, PLEASE, don't read this xD, I want you to maintain your innocence. But if you're 12 and know, or 11, or 7, I really don't care, just as long as you don't know, DON'T READ! No, sex doesn't happen in this chapter, just the next ;)

*At the Queen's Chambers*

"An assassination attempt?"

"Yes, Queen Amber," Baileywick trails on.

"Send a troop of men to guard Hugo, we'll have no more of this nonsense, secure the palace. As of this moment, no man nor woman is allowed to enter nor exit this castle. We are on lockdown, until I say otherwise."

"Right away, your majesty."

"Baileywick, no need for formalities," the perplexed queen states, glancing around the chamber.

"Of course." The man leaves on his way to Princess Sofia, hoping he is not followed. James follows just as the servant exits, this time, with his fiancee.

"Sister."

"James, what can I do for you?"

"Well, you see," James trailed on, leading Hildegard into the queen's chambers, "Hildegard and I, well we may have-"

"Hilde! Finally, I was starting to think you two would never ask!"

"Not only that, Amber, we're pregnant..."

"You're joking, right?"

"Afraid not, sister."

"That's the best piece of news I've heard in days! Oh, James, I'm going to be an aunt?!"

"Yes, but Amber, Freezenburg needs your acceptance to our marriage."

"Oh, you mean more paperwork? Very well then brother, you may go off with your quite gorgeous bride-to-be, back to Freezenburg for celebrations."

"Thank you, sister." Hildegard blushes with James, and they both exit.

"And I'll just go back to writing down more documents," Amber mutters.

---------------------------------------

Sofia's P.O.V.

"And you're sure Amber and James don't suspect a thing, Baileywick?"

"Positive, Princess Sofia."

"Very well then, I suppose we can cut the chitchat short, today should be less heavy, I'm heading out to the gardens," I simply state as Baileywick walks away, nodding. Slipping on a coat, I head outside.

The gardens are lovely, covered in a beautifully frosted snow, but I don't have the luxury to truly think about beauty anymore. Well, not truly. My eyes land on a frozen water lily, its petals, completely frozen off. I wonder what a life like that would be. Standing, all alone, in solace. The loneliness. It's treacherous to think of such things but I always manage to. Somehow, always... I'm ridiculous, and quite ludicrous too for wanting things I know cannot be mine. Like Hugo. That's a wish long forgotten. I am just about ready to head inside the castle when a voice keeps me to a halt.

"Sofia..." Hugo trails off. My eyes turn to the prince's green orbs. He looks terrible, tired, exhausted, but still there, it's still there. The kindness... I let my thoughts fade away as I come to remembrance. He is engaged. And there my spine straightens up, my demeanor, it hardens. For him.

"Hugo. What can I do for you?" He runs up to me, and pushes me into a column. I let out a small gasp, as he attaches his lips to mine. He holds me in his arms, making my waist feel small in his grasp. I run my hands through his hair as he pulls me closer to him, still locking us in the kiss. I feel his weight pushing me against the column. Our lips are in a battle, our hands all over one another. It's only then when I remember. He can't be mine, not when he's hers. I pull myself away from his grasp.

"Hugo! What is the meaning of this?!" I shout, still trying to maintain my composure. I'm completely breathless.

"So you're telling me you don't feel it too? The passion?"

"Hugo! You know we can't..." I trail on, this time managing to keep my composure.

"I want you, and only you, Sofia."

"You are engaged!"

"Not anymore," he whispers, looking at me. I feel him latch his hands onto mine, holding them. "Clio was escorted away from the palace after the assassination attempt. Nobody has seen her ever since, and the engagement was called off. Our kingdoms didn't yearn for the unity as badly as our parents made it seem."

This changes everything. I place my hands on his face, and pull him in for a kiss. He complies, holding them. We stumble around the garden, until a stone bench is found. Lips still attached, we manage to sit down.

"Princess Sofia!" One palace servant shouts, looking for me. I pull away from Hugo's lips, and whisper into his ear,

"I have to attend to royal preparations for the ball tonight, but I just wanted to let you know," I trail on, gathering my things. He replies back,

"Mhm, so I've heard. Carry on." I smirk, whispering in his ear,

"I've wanted to do that for a while..." He grins, and pulls me in for one last kiss. We part our ways, and I feel it, the hope.

Sadly, hope doesn't last too long for people of our stature.

A/N: END OF CHAPTER XP SOME SEXY SHIT GONNA GO DOWN NEXT CHAPTER LMAO PRAY FOR ME TO NOT MAKE IT AS AWKWARD AS IT SHOULDN'T BE!

TOODLESSSS!