Chapter Eleven: Magic

"The problem with your amulet is that it continuously changes magic. It's more of a source than it is a bearer."

"You've lost me Solana." She sighs, looking at me with a contemplated look.

"The amulet, gives power. You have to know how to use that power," she states, rephrasing her previous sentence to my understanding.

"So it's basically an infinite magic source?" I ask. She nods, pulling up a scepter.

"Items, weapons more particularly, like your amulet, and this scepter are used to wield magic," she goes on. "When kings and queens use this scepter on their coronations, it is to display that very symbol of-"

"Power," I say, cutting her off.

"Correct."

"Then what power do I have with this amulet?"

"I don't know, what power do you want?" She asks with a mischievous grin. I let out a small gasp.

"What? No! That's impossible the only other magical item able to choose its powers would be-"

"The amulet of Avalor," she trails on, cutting me off. "And any other magical item made in Avalor."

"But all their blacksmiths are gone, Solana."

"No, there is one."

"Who?"

"Stefan Amina."

"Amina? Who is he."

"Just someone, a blacksmith."

"Is he alive?" She pauses for a second, debating on whether or not she should answer. How strange...

"Yes."

"Then I guess we should learn how to-"

"Use this amulet? Yes, time is of the essence."

"Then where do I start?"

"There are four elements that make up this world. And a fifth if you want to be technical. Nature, Fire, Water, and Air."

"What's the fifth?" I ask.

"We'll worry about that later."

"Then what do I-"

"Create a world. Use nature to your advantage." I clasp the amulet in my right hand, and use my left to try to grow something.

"I'm not sure this is working."

"Well concentrate a little more and you'll be sure." I sigh. Sofia, you can do this. Just, focus?

I feel vines grow out of my left hand, wrapping around my arm, suffocating me.

"Sofia! Focus. I can't have you killing yourself with powers."

"I'm, trying!" I exclaim as I lead the vines to grow down to the ground instead of on me.

"Good girl. That's your lesson on nature."

"That's it?"

"Yes, you can be more creative in real circumstances."

"Very well, what's next?" I ask, with an almost exasperated sigh.

"Fire."

"Fire?"

"Yes, fire. Are you sure you understand English you seem to be asking a lot of questions on what I previously state." I roll my eyes. "I'm just teasing child," Solana chuckles.

"Then what do I do?"

"Make fire." I put my amulet in both my hands, and try to focus on warmth to erupt it into flames. Oddly enough, I succeed at my first attempt.

"I guess there's not much for me to teach you there..." Solana trails on. "Next."

"Air or water?" I ask.

"Air, it's easier."

I hold onto the amulet and feel the power soak into me. It's a hard feeling to explain, but if I could describe magic, it would be a type of adrenaline flowing through your blood. The type that you could feel. I use this rush of power to create a tiny vortex in the palm of my hand. I spin it around with the index finger of my right hand, increasing the size with my thumb. I'm in control of the magic. It's invigorating.

"And now water, right?"

"Yes, water, the hardest element might I add. Aside from mystery number five." I groan. Though it feels nice to have this power, learning how to maintain it is quite a process.

"How do I start?"

"In order to create the element you need a small source. Luckily for you, you're always on the ground, and always surrounded by air, but fire and water are less common resources that you'll have with you on the daily. I'd say fire is hardest, you create it out of nothing really. I'll teach you maintenance later."

"So I use myself?"

"Yes, but not too much or else you'll end up, well, ah, disappearing?" She admits, awkwardly brushing her elbow.

"So I'll die?"

"Yes?" She asks, afraid.

"Very well then, I'll limit myself," I trail on. To be truthful this magic scared me. At first I thought the amulet's powers were limited, but now-I really just see how vast they are: universally vast.

I clutch the amulet in my left hand, and using the liquid in me, I pull out water droplets from my hand, multiplying them. A ball of water erupts from my right hand as I draw it out of the amulet. I hold it in my right hand, throwing it around and catching it. I try having some fun with Solana by throwing it at her, but as soon as I do, she makes it disappear with the motion of her hand swiping to my left.

"How-"

"I guess what they say is true, princess, you really do learn fast," Solana trails on. I grin like an accomplished student, very awkwardly though, as my 'surprise' attack truly failed. "These are basics though. We're going to work more on offensive and defensive spells with spirit."

"Spirit?"

"Yes, spirit."

"What is it?"

"Life and death; magic."

A/N: End of chapter eleven. More magic lessons in the next chapter. I really had fun writing this chapter. Too much fun.

Word Count: 936 Words

Tell me what you think in the comments, I like spam! (It motivates me to write more.)

I think I might post another chapter later tonight but honestly who knows with me?

~Toodles, Lina!~