Chapter Eighteen: Three Kings, One Crown

~Hugo~

      "Father, we thought you were dead," James exclaims. He's completely bewildered by Roland's return. As am I.

      "I don't have much time to explain, so first we have to get you out of here," Roland states, pulling keys off a hook near the entrance of the dungeon. He unlocks my cell, and then James'.

      "Your majesty, where were you all this time?" I ask. Roland heaves a sigh.

      "I was kidnapped and brought to Avalor. I used the opportunity to go looking for Sofia's biological father, but I was not successful." I understand the disappointment in Roland's voice because I too am now a father. If I came close to making my little girl the happiest, but just couldn't do it... well I don't know what'd happen to me. Even though I barely know Elise, she has my heart.

      "Let's head back upstairs, so that I can give Amber a piece of my mind," James whines. King Roland stops in his tracks and gives James a glare that even scares me. James shrinks, his shoulders slouching.

-

      As we head upstairs, Amber's guard stands in the way. Upon seeing Roland, he immediately bows and lets us pass–the shock on his face persisting throughout the entire encounter.

      I couldn't have possibly prepared for what happens next.

      "Hugo!" Sofia exclaims, running up to me. She's sobbing hysterically, which leaves me in complete and utter shock. I embrace her with a hug, and stroke her hair gently. My heart shatters after seeing her in such a state.

      "What's wrong?" I ask, my voice dripping with concern.

      "E-El, Elise," she stammers, trying to catch her breath after crying, "is gone. She was kidnapped!" Sofia cries out, sobbing once again.

      I freeze in my tracks and notice how the beat of my heart increases rapidly.

      "Search the palace!" Roland orders.

      "D-dad?" Amber asks. She runs up to Roland and hugs him. He smiles sweetly, hugging her back.

      "Oh my god, dad!" Sofia exclaims. "We thought you were gone." Sofia runs towards Roland to join in on the hug shared between him and Amber. As they all embrace, only one thought courses through my mind: whoever kidnapped my daughter is dead.

      A guard returns, and whispers something into James' ear.

      "Baileywick wants us all to meet Cedrick in his chambers," James announces. We all head to Cedrick's, in the hopes that our crown princess can be brought back to safety.

-

      "Your majesties," Cedrick bows, turning towards his cauldron. "I've used magic to locate your daughter, Sofia. She's in the woods."

      "Then we must go after Elise right away," I state. Roland, Amber, James, Baileywick, Cedrick, and Sofia all nod in agreement. 

      We rush hurriedly in the forest, using Cedrick's locator spell to track down Elise. All of a sudden, there is a blue mist in the air, and Sofia faints, dropping to the ground like a ragdoll. I rush to her side in confusion,

      "Sofia? Sofia, wake up! Are you okay?" At this point in the day, I've done so much worrying that I feel mentally exhausted. When I turn around to ask the others for help, I am only faced with trees, and the growth of the forest.

      They're all gone.

Please don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the chapter, and comment your thoughts.

A/N:

Hello all! I've returned to writing this story, but unfortunately I will only be posting chapters weekly because of my mental health. This is definitely better than not publishing at all, so hopefully with time I'll be able to resume the daily upload schedule. Thank you so much for reading!

I slightly rushed to publish this because I have 3 other stories I need to work on, so if there were any mistakes, let me know! I'll fix them :)

Stay safe,

– Lina ;)

Published 6/28/2020