33. The bond between them

Navya was confused. Today, for the first time she had opened up her heart, and it happened to be that joker faced man she knew who admired her from day one.

He was handsome, she couldn't disagree. He liked her, she again couldn't disagree but then, it wasn't all, right?

Letting out a small sigh, she wrapped her hand around herself, feeling the need to hide herself and at the same moment she felt someone's presence behind her.

Abhi: Are you okay?

Abhi sounded hesitant. In these two years, he had hardly exchanged any good words with them, specially with Navya. They were siblings, and they were supposed to be the closest but that certainly wasn't the case.

Navya: you are two years late to ask this, Bhai.

Navya didn't want to be bitter. She knew what Nandini was for her brother. Neither did she envy Nandini for she knew Nandini had always been there for Abhi from the start and that too, when it was her that was supposed to be with her brother.

Abhi looked down, feeling guilt rise in his heart.

Abhi: I-I am sorry.

Navya: Don't be. I deserve every bit of it.

She chuckled sarcastically. Abhi shook his head as he turned to her.

Abhi: None of us deserved what happened to us, Navya.

Navya: No bhai. We deserved it. You know- I never knew our bond was so weak that a mere phone call made us doubt Nandu.

Abhi fell silent. He couldn't argue on this point. It was the same thing Manik had been saying from the moment he came to know the truth. A mere phone call broke their trust.

Maybe it was not that phone call. It was just those insecurities, those untreated wounds of the past - those cracks in their relationship they always hid with smiles and happy moments. After all, Black Shinners were supposed to shine in the dark.

Abhi didn't know. He didn't even know what to say so he just cleared his throat, and stood there.

Unlike Nandini, Navya was a lot more complicated. Abhi didn't know how to communicate with her. He was not sure how to handle her, he didn't know what was going in her head. He felt like a stranger standing beside his own blood sister.

He glanced at her again, and found her staring at the sky aimlessly. She looked so fragile, so hurt and vulnerable that for the first time Abhi wanted to hold her, and be there for her. He wanted to tell her that she was his sister no matter what, and he cared for her, always.

Abhi: D-Do you like him?

For a second, Navya was taken aback. Like him? Did he know? She gasped and turned to him.

Navya: L-Like who?

Abhi: Cabir, who else. Duh

Navya: Excuse me? You sound like I have no boys in my life except him!

Abhi: You do?

Navya rolled her eyes at the stern eyes and turned back to look at the sky. Abhi chuckled at the rude ignorance.

Navya: None of your business. And no, I don't like Cabir. I don't even know him.

Abhi: And that's why you have kept his note safe until now?

Navya's eyes went wide and she was forced to face her brother again. One look into his eyes, and she knew she was doomed for sure.

____

The next morning started on a good note with everyone sitting in the living area, chit-chatting about random stuff including their hobbies, work, music, personal life.