45. Her Side of Story

The next morning when Nandini woke up, she was no longer outside the room. Instead, she was tucked in the bed under a warm blanket. She was still wearing her bridal wear except for the jewellery. It was kept on the side table and Nandini wondered if Manik removed it.

Manik was in the room too, standing in front of the dressing table, getting ready. His hair was still wet and she concluded he had just taken a shower. He looked ready to leave for the office in his black formal pants and white shirt.

Manik must have noticed she was up from the mirror from the mirror with the way he cleared his throat. She waited for him to speak but when he didn't, Nandini simply stood up to change out of her own heavy clothes.

Her suitcase - which she had no idea came from where - was by the cupboard. Aliya must have dropped it here. Did Manik ask her?

By the time she came back from the bathroom - in her regular clothes, she expected Manik to be gone but to her surprise, he was sitting on the couch working on his laptop. As soon as he saw her, he kept the laptop at the side and stood up, clearing his throat once again.

Manik: I am sorry for what I did yesterday. This room is yours now as much as it is mine.

Nandini looked at him in surprise, she didn't know why, she knew Manik would never hurt her. He looked very much guilty of how he had behaved yesterday.

Manik: However, I want to make a few things clear.

Nandini: What?

Manik: I don't want others to think we have problems, so outside this room, we will behave like a couple but inside, you - we can be strangers. I won't disturb you. We can't get a divorce before six months so bear it until that. After that, we can go our own ways.

It took a few moments for his words to even make sense. Nandini wondered if she had heard wrong. Divorce?

Nandini: You want to divorce me?

Manik chuckled making her frown.

Manik: You didn't want to marry me. So, I won't force you to stay married to me.

There were moments Nandini was absolutely proud of her wit and humour but there were also moments where she felt so scared, timid, like she had so much to say but the words won't cooperate with her.

She wanted to tell Manik in that moment how much she loved him, or how she didn't want this divorce. She didn't marry him because of only his father. She wanted to be with him.

But words failed her. Manik picked up his blazer, gave her a glance with his eyes lacking any kind of warmth before walking out of the door. All the while, she stood there watching her hope shatter in front of her own eyes.

_____

Turned out, Manik really meant what he said. The moment she walked in the dining room and found everyone in their seats, already eating - Manik was all smiles. He smiled when Cabir teased them both. He laughed when Aryaman made a joke about the wedding.

But when she sat beside him to eat, she noticed the smile falter on his face. Nandini's heart clenched in the worst possible way. She wanted to run away again, so when she would be out of his sight, he would be happy again.

She was not sure if she even smiled at the greetings or congratulations she received. She noticed Cabir frowning when she didn't reply to his teasing. Before the frown could change into worry from everyone, Manik pulled a plate for her, distracting her and everyone else by speaking.

Soon after breakfast, Manik left for the office despite everyone telling him to stay at home. Technically it was Nandini's first kitchen ritual. She was supposed to cook something sweet but Nandini knew nothing of cooking. So she was spared.