44. Marriage and Misunderstandings

Cabir: Manik! How can you marry Veebha! You told me you won't!

Manik sighed, wearing the weird jewellery he was supposed to with the cream colored shervani. The engagement ring on his finger stung his eyes, and he looked away every time his eyes fell on it.

Manik: I can't help it, Cabir.

Dhruv: You can! Talk to Nandini, Manik.

Manik: you think I haven't tried? This marriage is important to me. I need to do this.

Cabir: But Manik -

Manik shook his head, turning around and held his shoulders. He gave Cabir a sad smile.

Manik: Sometimes, you must learn how to let go, Cabir. Nandini doesn't want to marry me, and I won't force her. It is okay, Cabir. I am fine.

Cabir's face told him he didn't believe him but Manik didn't have the time to make him. He let out another sigh and backed away.

Manik: Now you two, don't you dare go to Nandini and say anything to her.

Dhruv: You still care for her?

Manik: I still love her, Dhruv. Of course, I care.

Cabir: and I care for both of you. You both are so so so stupid. I am going to talk to Nandini!

Manik tried to stop him but Cabir was already storming out of the room. Manik shook his head and asked Dhruv to stop him who only nodded.

_____

Love. What is Love? Manik was not sure. He loved Nandini but he was marrying Veebha. Nandini loved him but she wouldn't stop him. He blamed her for not doing so, but at the same time he blamed himself for going through this.

He needed this marriage even if he knew it came with the cost of ruining his life. He knew what Veebha was, what her motive was. He knew what his evil mother wanted through this marriage. Manik knew everything yet he couldn't stop it.

His friends gave him sad smiles as he sat on the mandap, waiting for his bride. Even Abhimanyu looked sadly at him. It was their own wedding and Manik felt the guilt creep inside him at ruining their special day. To ease himself a little, he tried to give him his best smile. Abhimanyu smiled back even when his reflected worry.

Veebha and Mukti walked in the hall side by side. They both had long veils covering their face according to a custom. Manik and Abhimanyu were not to see their faces until the wedding was done and they had to take blessings from the elders.

Manik completed the rituals with half heart, with his eyes roaming around the hall to spot Nandini somewhere between the crowd but Nandini was nowhere to be seen. Guess, she ditched his wedding too.

Manik sighed, standing up for the seven rounds. For a second, he looked at the figure walking infront of him in slight confusion. Veebha was slightly taller than Nandini but the one walking infront of him was of Nandini's height.

The next when they sat down and Manik tied the nuptial chain around her neck, he felt her flinch back just a little. However, he couldn't see her face even when he applied the vermilion in her hair partition since there was a cloth held in between them.

It couldn't been Nandini. If it was, Aliya who helped with the maang teeka on her forehead would have said so. Manik was so confused that the wait of the marriage did not even settle in.

Just as the marriage was done and the priest declared them husband and wife, they all heard a loud shout.

Standing in front of the mandap, with her eyes wide in shock and mouth hung open was Veebha. Manik's head snapped at the woman beside him and within a moment, he pushed her veil above only to find Nandini standing there.