46. I Love You

Nandini was not in the room when Manik got home. Instead, there was a note asking him to be on the terrace after freshening up. Desperate to talk to her, Manik kept the bouquet of flowers he had bought for her on the bed and got in the bathroom to tidy up.

Nandini on the other hand was on the terrace. She had not done much but just prepared a dinner date with the help of Abhimanyu and Mukti. Nandini didn't trust anyone else properly to let them know about her problems with Manik.

Now she was here, all ready in his favourite color - a red colored saree she had to borrow from Mukti because all the orders she made today would be delivered by tomorrow or day after. She hoped Manik would like it.

Seconds turned into minutes, and minutes into half an hour before she finally heard calm and firm footsteps. She didn't turn around because Nandini knew that the moment she would face him, words would fail her yet again.

Manik: Nandini?

Manik sounded surprised. Her hands shook in nervousness and she gripped the railing hard to control her own body.

Nandini: Manik. Thank you for coming here.

Thank you for not abandoning me even if I gave you reasons to. Nandini thought but didn't say. It was not about her, it was about Manik today.

Manik: What are you doing? What is all this?

She turned around this time, and she watched his eyes go wide. If he had not noticed her saree before, he did now. Nandini looked ethereal standing there with her hair swaying a little by the wind. God, Manik won for life.

He let a smile graze his face as he stepped forward.

Manik: Did you borrow this from Mukti?

She nodded, not even surprised that he had read her like an open book.

Nandini: You are not angry anymore.

She told. Manik didn't look exactly happy. He had worry, guilt and shame in his eyes. Nandini noticed the bouquet in his hands and she knew it was for her.

Manik: I was but then dad told me everything. Why didn't you say, Nandini?

Nandini: Because you didn't even hear me. You were so angry, Manik!

Right. Manik didn't listen to her. He cursed himself as he stepped forward, coming in front of her and cupping her cheek. He kissed her forehead and smiled when she stared at him with wide eyes.

Manik handed her the bouquet of flowers.

Manik: I know it is very pathetic after behaving like that, but I could not think of anything else.

Nandini shook her head. Her eyes welled up in tears and she wiped them immediately.

Nandini: It is still better than my pathetic attempt at cooking.

Manik chuckled. He held her hand and took her to the table she had set in the middle of the terrace. It was nothing grand but a simple candle light dinner. Manik made her sit on the chair and sat down in front of her, on his knees.

Nandini: Manik, what are you -

Manik: Sh, let me say okay?

She nodded, falling silent and he looked down for a moment.

Manik: I am sorry, Nandini. I think I was so much into my own world, so much wrapped around in my own feelings - I failed to recognise yours. I just wanted you to accept me. I never thought if you were having a hard time on your own.

He shook his head, with a sad chuckle.

Manik: Actually, I didn't care enough to know what you were going through. I got angry at your friends for apologizing again and again back then and now, I ended up doing the similar thing. I kept confessing my feelings for you, but never stopped and thought if you were fine with them.