41. Roka Ceremony

Nandini was in her study. It was a late hour of the day and everyone had already retired to their rooms to sleep or at least that was what she thought until there was a knock at her door.

Nandini: Yes, Come in.

It was Cabir. Nandini was slightly taken aback to find him there. The last time she remembered them talking was when he helped her and Manik talk on a video call.

Cabir: Can I come in now that you have seen my face?

Nandini rolled her eyes at him at his humour and he grinned widely.

Nandini: You are already in, Cabir.

Cabir laughed at her dry response. Right, he was already in, so he might just walk ahead and sit there on the empty chair. That was exactly what he did. Nandini didn't even stop him because she knew he held the energy to convince her with hundred reasons why he should sit there right now.

Nandini continued to do her work while Cabir sat there silently playing games on his phone on high volume. If Nandini was getting disturbed due to it, she said nothing to him.

Cabir: We bonded really well you know.

He said all of the sudden. Nandini stopped but didn't look up.

Nandini: Cabir - if you are here to talk about Manik and me, I am going to ask you to leave.

Cabir chuckled, keeping his phone down and sitting properly, facing her.

Cabir: Wow, you both started speaking alike too now.

Nandini frowned. Did Manik refuse to talk about them? Why? And then, she saw a creepy smile taking over Cabir's face. Nandini glared at him for teasing her, of course Manik would never do that.

Nandini: Are you not scared of me?

Cabir: No why? Are you a ghost?

Nandini only stared at him with a frown.

Cabir: Only ghosts scare me, that's why.

Nandini: You are such a dramabaaz!

She shook her head and unknowingly a smile came over her face. However, Cabir laughed out loud confusing her further.

Cabir: It is Dramebaaz! Your hindi sucks.

Nandini rolled her eyes, not getting offended really. She shook her head and watched him smile.

Nandini: Tell me what it is?

Cabir: It is night, and it is 12:40 right now and in a few hours -

Nandini: Cabir!

Cabir: Why won't you forgive Harshad?

Nandini stopped, looking at him to make sure she heard right. When she was sure she did hear right, she looked away with bitterness clear on her face.

Nandini: I will never forgive him.

Cabir: Why?

Nandini: Because -

Nandini went silent suddenly, feeling a figure stand at the door and she turned to it abruptly. Cabir said nothing as she narrowed her eyes. There was someone. And there, she caught the hand and bracelet. Manik. Did he send Cabir over? Why was he hiding?

Cabir: Nandini?

Nandini turned to him, mind still stuck to the door and she saw him smile again.

Nandini: Cabir - do you know why all my friends are older than me?

Cabir: Why?

Nandini: Because kids of my age didn't like me. They were children, they didn't know any better. They would call me names, a bad omen, cursed because my mother died when I was born and then my father died too. I have always had only Harshad bhai from the start.