43. Mehndi and Haldi

Unlike how Veebha had behaved, her father almost sounded ashamed of his daughter's behaviour. He even apologized to Nandini and everyone else. Manik would have thought the elder man was being sincere had he not known what kind of person Mr.Khurana was.

He knew why this apology came because it was the matter of a woman's dignity and if other times Raj remained silent, he wouldn't have been this time. Besides Nandini herself was not to be messed with. Khurana's would be a fool to go against such powerful people.

Manik rolled his eyes when the older man requested him to give his daughter another chance. And as he has expected, his mother handled the matter on his behalf - forgiving Veebha and all ready to forget the whole matter as if Veebha didn't just mess with Nandini's outfit to embarrass her in front of everyone.

As a result, Veebha stayed in the mansion under the pretence of spending some time with him - to clear some misunderstanding she believed he had regarding her.

And now, here he was - almost hiding in the garden. Veebha wouldn't stop following him. She was worse than a bee.

Just as Manik feared, Veebha appeared in front of him out of nowhere. Manik gulped as he turned to her. Right at the moment, he saw her stumbling and before they knew, she was falling down with a loud cry.

Veebha: Ouch! Manik, Help me!

Manik rolled his eyes, a little worried if she actually sprained it but when he walked near her and saw her smiling in secret, he pressed her foot hard making her shreik.

Veebha: Hey! Be gentle!

Manik: I am being gentle. I need to check if you broke it!

Veebha: No, I will be okay. Why don't you pick me up and take me inside, Manik?

Manik: I will call someone to help you.

Veebha: No! It is not needed. I mean you are here, it will look so weird if you call someone else to help your would-be wife.

Manik let out an irritated sigh. So much to avoid her and here he was, picking her up in his arms. He almost wished to drop her then and there but walked inside not to give anyone a show.

However, as he walked inside the hall and his eyes fell on Nandini - he understood Veebha's sudden falling down. Nandini almost looked ready to punch his face as he made Veebha sit down beside her.

Manik: I -

Nandini didn't even stand there to hear him out. She walked away with an eye roll and Manik cursed his fate.

____

At night was the Mehndi ceremony. Nandini wouldn't even look at him as she walked inside the hall in her green lehnga. She looked so pretty that his friends had to physically push him to move and not stare at her.

Their happiness however was eyed by the evil eyes of Veebha who couldn't stop the anger she felt seeing them stare at the other at every chance they got.

Veebha had started to get an idea. Manik agreed to the marriage not only for the land but also to make Nandini jealous. She was a fool to think putting down Nandini would work. So far, it had only infuriated Manik, resulting in him getting angry at her. She needed something more if she wanted his attention.

Just as Nandini passed by her, Veebha called out for her.

Nandini: What?

Veebha feigned guilt and stepped forward.

Veebha: Nandini I know you forgave me but I still can't stop feeling guilty for what I did that day. I am really sorry.

Nandini smiled sarcastically in return. She had no idea how did Veebha reach to a conclusion that she was forgiven.