Chapter 5: Shao Cheng Hui (Burnt to Ashes)

Back in Lanling, Guangshan and the special relatives from Gusu spent another early afternoon talking about their careful plan for the execution of Lan Yunlin; an escaped tiger that had killed Jin Guangmeng, the older brother of Guangshan and possibly others.  Guangshan, Qingheng, Qiren, Huan and Zhan were only lucky they were able to sneak into the palace of Lanling Jin yesterday morning without being noticed by Yunlin.  They, or Little Zhan in particular, were even more fortunate that no one died last night.

            Little Zhan was sitting in his seat in Lanling Jin's private meeting room with the elders and Huan sitting next to him.  He did not bother to touch the cup of white peony tea in front of him and only kept his resting hands on his lap.  In everyone's opinion, Little Zhan did not seem pleased at the moment. 

            "Xiao...Lan er gong zi (Second Little...young master Lan), are you not thirsty?" Guangshan had asked.

            He did not bother to answer the Jin leader's question, which may have seemed rude, but the leader himself understood that any little boy (who took pride as being a little man) who was dressed in girl's clothes and hairstyled like a young maiden would certainly feel as if they had lost their dignity as a little manly boy. 

            "Zhan er, are you still mad that you were made to dress like a girl in place of your cousin?" Qiren asked with a straight face.

            "...Mm," Little Zhan quietly mumbled, knowing that even he could not disrespect his blood related uncle.

            "Son, you know we had no choice," Qingheng started after sipping his tea on the table.  "Your elder brother was alittle tall for your cousin..."

            "...Your son understands father," Little Zhan quietly mumbled to himself.

            "I am glad that you understand," Qingheng replied.

            Huan turned his head to look at his sulking younger brother and gently chuckled just a tad bit to lighten up the mood in the private meeting room.

            "Zhan, don't be too sad.  It was only for our cousin's own good that we did that." Huan encouraged.

            "...If only she returned home yesterday night, I would not have had to dress up and sleep in her room." Little Zhan openly said to his brother.

            "Well surprisingly, my wife and children probably had too much fun to want to stay over in Yunmeng.  I hope they return today." Guangshan said as an imaginary sweat rolled down the side of his head.

            "Home is definitely where the heart should return to.  But I find it difficult for the young child to return home where she knows that death awaits her every corner." Qingheng sadly reflected and sipped his warm cup of peony tea.

            "Oh Shan di, if I do not sound too rude to ask.  Other than the physical attempts, have Yunlin tried anything else?" Qiren asked, hoping not to sound too impolite.

            Guangshan would only know that 'anything else' meant if Yunlin had tried anything but physically killing Little Zhuqin in broad daylight or at night when the day was the most silent.  Of course, the father knew of the many poisoning attempts Yunlin tried and...perhaps that was all he knew. 

            "I heard she tried to poison my daughter's food several times...that seems to be about it." Guangshan said.  "...Perhaps because of my position as the clan leader, I cannot be with my daughter too often to know everything.  It makes my heart ache."