Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Six - Time Gives And Takes Away

Although Owen was a scientist developing medicines, there were somethings that he could not cure such as the ravishment of time.  Time would see their loved ones age around them and slowly steal them away.  Although Adam had suffered such before, for some reason, it felt so much more real now, though he could not explain why.  Perhaps it was because he was watching this occur through the eyes of Owen as well, who was hurting greatly as this was the first life where he was not only seeing people leave him behind, but they reminded him again of loved ones lost before.

And of course, they were watching as lines slowly began to appear upon each other's faces.  Though they had lived before and knew they were fortunate enough to know they would live together again, each memory in this life was precious and treasured much more as it would not be something they could say they would experience again.  And in this life, they raised between them a daughter.  Emma had surprised them with her unexpected pregnancy, but she was so delighted to be given the chance to be a mother again.  Unfortunately, she did not live past the little girl's fifth birthday after their car was involved in an accident.

When watching as their adopted daughter say her vows on her wedding day, with love and stars in her pretty eyes, Adam felt in his heart that his time in this life was almost over. He could not be considered old, in fact he could only be considered middle aged, however just because they were able to experienced life over and over again, did not mean that their bodies were any less vulnerable than the next person's.  He was grateful that he at least could share this moment with husband and child.

Adam had developed bone cancer.  He fought it, he fought to stay beside his husband's side for as long as he could.  But despite suffering the torment of chemotherapy and the illness itself, his body finally gave out and as Adam felt himself slip away, he could only squeeze Owen's hand without strength and tell him with his eyes that he loved him.

Owen kissed his pale forehead and whispered; "I will see you soon."

*****

Harmony spent many years in a mental institution and subsequent therapy.  Her explanations regarding Charity's unexpected suicide had labelled her with mental health problems.  It didn't help, of course, that she also had an unhealthy obsession with a young man who had rejected her and delusions about his betrayal.  I forgive him, she would say, he betrayed me, but I forgive him!  Her therapists were already aware that she had no relationship with the man beyond a small friendship gone sour.

She would be sent back after her release at least once after being caught stalking again.  She died a very bitter woman.

That bitterness, unfortunately, did not end as she awoke to find herself in another time, another place and another body.  She laughed madly!  So what the little bastard said was true, she would not cease to exist, but return to where she belonged!  What was the point if he was no longer here?  Her true memories began to flood into her mind overlapping with those she had gained and those she did not even know she had.

"Miss Canterbury," came a voice.  It sounded as if it were coming through a speaker of her game console...  "Miss Canterbury, can you remember who you are?  Can you recall how you came to be here?"

The capsule was opened and the oxygen mask removed from her face.  She coughed, her lips dried out and her body covered in a gelatinous fluid.  "I...I remember..."

There came some sighs of relief.  "Welcome back, Miss Canterbury," the man advised her.  "I know you have been through much, but we are here to help you reacclimatise.  Now, let's get you out of this pod and into something warm... hmmm?"

*****

Aidan was alone when he woke from his death slumber. Remembering Owen's last words to him, he half expected to see him appear beside him. But they had discussed things as he wasted away in hospital; Adam didn't want Owen chasing after him too soon and breaking their little girl's heart in the process. He had been blessed enough to see her married, he hoped Owen could view their grandchildren for him before returning to his embrace.