Chapter One Hundred And Thirty Six - Pursuit of a Village

Seven had been in residence within the small village for almost a week now. 

For the first day, Leif had let him alone within the house beneath the trees root crop to rest and grow accustomed to his surroundings.  He seemed to retain his sanity for much of that day, able to find balance by occupying his body with simple chores such as sweeping and dusting while letting his mind rest in that peaceful space whenever he was alone.  Leif had left early to take the aphrodisiac to Elder Barkridge, returning home with a fist full of plants known for their edible root and a small basket, which had apparently been left upon the doorstep.

"And so it begins," he had muttered as he placed the basket upon the table before deftly hanging the roots up high to dry.  The root tasted best when cooked within a firm skin, but that was only formed once air dried.

Seven had slowly emerged to the forefront of his mind before questioning Leif's statement.  "Where what begins?"

"The gifts," Leif had snorted and indicated the beaded necklace within the basket.  It was formed of painted wooden beads and small opaque stones.  Having been born for fashion before and born into riches another time, Seven didn't really have an opinion for the necklace.  It was so-so in his eyes, however his voice may sound differently to those within the village, so he had said nothing.  "Even by village law you can't be wed for two years, so what would be the point of sending offerings now?  Elder Calarook must really like the look of you."

"Look, but not touch," Seven had grumbled and continued to sweep without interest.

The following day, Leif had thought it would be a good idea for Seven to view the village in daylight.  With vague light diffused by the thick, hanging fog over the village, the swamp did look vastly different.  More mysterious and less haunting.  The light was thin enough not to mutate the vegetables and fruits, yet more than enough for villagers to walk through the village without the need of torch light.  Everyone here had olive to dark skin tones rather than the paler or ashen tones of those in the underground world and whereas even prostitutes within the city felt the need to be clothed from head to toe, most here just covered up more personal parts of their body and adorned the rest in handmade beads and bracelets.  Everyone could fully see everyone else's markings whether abundant or lacking, but not a soul seemed penalised nor revered greatly for it, with the exception of three individuals.  Leif was one of those people.

Seven met the Village Chief on the third day and learnt of the Record Keeper on his fourth.

The Village Chief went by the name of Elder Yddrasil, his line named after the mythical tree of life.  All chiefs were from this blood line or married into it, but it was up to the village elders as a whole and the village witch who would inherit the title chief.  Elder Yddrasil was already old as far as the average lifespan of a villager was concerned, but he looked like a man in his sixties.  Seven later learned that one of Leif's best potions helped retain the hardiness of a man's youth for extended periods.  He also had potions to help retain face, which was prized amongst women and men.  Elder Yddrasil already had five wives, twelve children and nearing forty grandchildren, so apart from the odd comment; "If only I were ten years younger..." he showed no interest in adding Seven to his harem, allowing the boy to relax about him.

The Record Keeper was named Elder Blackthorn.  He had one wife and four children, only the first was old enough to be married off, but as he was unfortunate of face, had to be content in learning his father's trade instead.  The reason the man chose not to have a harem was simple; it required more paperwork.  His position was highly respected as he was responsible for ensuring the bloodlines did not mix too thickly and cause problems in future generations.  The Elders must come to him before pursuing brides to gain his permission before they can set their hand an wooing the one they wished to wed.  Seven was fresh blood and beautiful, highly desirable and fair game to all Elders even if he did not wish it so.