Chapter One Hundred And Forty - Reunification Of Lovers

A gentle melody sang upon the wind, drifting in amongst the slumbering branches, which seemed to sway softly to the hidden beat of the pretty tune. It called out to those who could hear it, gently awakening some from their dreams, including the man, who had been softly snoring in bed beneath the roof of root and tree hollow. With a yawn, he reached over to note that the other side of the bed had already cooled, though he was well aware that there would be no one there on hearing the flute play.

He yawned once more, waddling over to the water basin to wash the sleep room his face before moving to the door of his home. The one he expected to see was not there and he was not on the root crop that sheltered his house either. He tutted in annoyance, before heading to where the sound seemed to emanate from, before stopping beneath the canopy of a huge, sleeping tree. "Seven, you just get your little bum down here," he called up. "You are aware of how dangerous it is to climb trees!"

The flute ceased its soothing ditty and a lithe form descended the branches to land without injury before him. Leif sighed. Seven was in his 'child' state. He had coined this phrase to describe when the boy was before him but also unreachable of mind, for the innocent expression that always seemed pinned to his face once in this state. Mostly, he seemed to be able to emerge from this state at will, but Leif had also discovered times when that was not so. This seemed to be one of those times.

"Come in for breakfast," Leif urged the boy, who followed without a word, only for both to be stopped by Elder Calarook. He came bearing gifts. It was a thick bangle. It appeared to be made of wood then lacquered black. A scale pattern was carved onto it and with its two red crystals, it gave the appearance of a fat snake biting its tail. Leif glanced at the actual snake wrapped like a choker about the boy's neck again and realised what his Uncle was implying. Leif did not feel like correcting him.

"Please, would you do me the honour of wearing this?" The Elder asked the boy. Seven automatically went to reach for it, but Leif stopped him. He knew that Seven would respond to requests and commands without thought in his child state, which was too dangerous in these circumstances. The Elder's eyes narrowed, fixed upon Leif's grip about the boy's wrist. "Are you interfering, Nephew?"

"I am referred to as Witch Sanguine by you and any other Elder, Elder Calarook," Leif replied with slight warning. Of course, his Uncle chose to ignore this.

"You failed to answer my question, young man," Elder Calarook said angrily. "Your disrespect is duly noted, by the way, I fear it will influence Seven's opinion of me and that, as his Guardian, is unacceptable!" The Chief had finally granted Leif's guardianship of Seven, during which Calarook's protest had gone unheard beneath the happy agreement of the other Elder's.

"Seven, go back into the house," Leif commanded the boy softly, who went directly on his way, before Leif turned to the older man. "Elder Calarook, as far as Seven and his future husband are concerned, as his guardian my opinion actually does count. I have not tried to influence him in anyway, but should he decide that he also dislikes you due to your inherent disrespect for me as Witch of this village, then that is his own choice."

"You are junior to me in our bloodline," Elder Calarook stated, "And as such you will provide to me filial respect, boy!"

"I am your Witch," Leif spat, angrily. "My name is Witch and as you are my maternal Uncle and I have never shared a name with you, my respect to you is equal to any other Elder of this village. You are not the Chief and you are not the Record Keeper so therefore you are not my equal. You would be well to remember that, Elder Calarook!" He stormed away on his heel, not giving the man space to retort, he headed to his small haven, grumbling beneath his breath. He paused to breath out the last of his ire before gripping the handle of his door.