Chapter One Hundred And Fifty Six - Lectures of a Grand Librarian

O'vel-win's older brother was named O'nan-win and was responsible for guiding children towards good apprenticeships.  He was usually quite successful, with most Master and apprentices forming good relationships and good work in the future.  There would always be those, however, who even he had trouble guiding.

The children before him had just listened to a scribe describe his general position and what his daily job entailed, some with rapt attention, others looking bored. He noted both, so that he might figure out which child might be interested and which definitely would not. He thanked the scribe, who happened to be a colleague of one of his cousins and sent him on his way. O'nan-win then instructed the class to go and get something to eat and return to the class in an hour. They had a librarian due this afternoon and that always interested the children. He was also expecting his brother to speak, but was not so sure how they would react to him.

O'nan-win wandered out of his classroom, a small room located at the back of the library. There were two such rooms and when there were no children to teach, others might use the rooms to quietly read one of the many books available in the library here. The library was a two storied building, with bookshelves lined on every wall and a few others free standing in the centre. The array of books on display produced an almost rich environment; books were their treasures and therefore expensive. An average person might save their whole lives to own one and the elite displayed them as proof of their wealth. No one would disrespect a library by removing the books from the building and librarians were practically revered.

The man exited the building and looked around the front of it where several wagons were parked waiting to collect children from lessons.  Some of the children, younger that the ones he taught, were already leaving the library having finished their lessons for the day.  It did not take long for O'nan-win to find his younger brother.

The two men did not look so different, both were a beautiful, rich earth toned in colour with mostly white hair, but the older man's turned to black before reaching its final length.  O'vel-win was slightly shorter and a little more soft of frame than his slender and taller brother.  However, O'vel-win was not alone when O'nan-win found him, a young man with sun kissed skin was with him.

"O'vel-win," the older man greeted his sibling.  "Are you ready?"

"Not so much, brother," O'vel-win sighed, but with a grin upon his face.  "But let me introduce you to my friend first.  This is K'tai-tul.  He is a tree farmer."

"Nice to meet you," O'nan-win said, politely.

"And you," the young farmer greeted in turn.  "O'vel-win was telling me that you teach children due to take apprenticeships and that he will be speaking to them about his own career."

"Yes to both," O'nan-win said, cheerfully.  "Although, I cannot guarantee what reception maybe received.  I happen to have a librarian speaking to the children first."  His brother's expression turned sour, how was he supposed to compete with that?  Not even a book maker might be able to do so!

K'tai-tul laughed lightly.  "There are few adults that did not once dream of becoming librarians once upon a time, even those of us whose future was set from birth."

"As yes, you are a tree farmer?" O'nan-win asked for confirmation that he had this correct and smiled when he received a nod of acknowledgement.  "Farming is generally kept within families, is it not?  Though I have guided a few farmer born children to other careers with the blessings of their families."

"Even within families," K'tai-tul agreed, "farming is not for everyone."  His eyes caught sight of Ch'mai-tul coming towards him and waved his sister over.  "I wonder, though, if I might not speak to the children about tree farming?"